Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Rose Revealed


Title: A ROSE REVEALED
Author: Gayle Roper
Publisher: Harvest House Publishers
February 2011
ISBN: 978-0-7369-2588-4
Genre: Inspirational/Amish mystery

Rose Martin is a home health nurse. She is just helping a wealthy client, Sophie Hostetter, in the car and turns back to get something when the car explodes—killing Sophie and her son. As soon as the police leave the scene, Rose starts for home, but used to clients dying due to natural causes is one thing. From murder, quite another. She pulls off into an Amish drive to cry until she pulls herself together.

Jake Zook is Amish born, but during his rumspringa he was in a motorcycle accident that left him paralyzed. Rose witnessed the accident, though she didn’t know who he was, or even if he survived, until two years later when she cared for Jake’s mom. However, Jake and Rose formed a tight friendship. Seeing Rose’s car in the drive, Jake and his brothers come out to see what is wrong.

Now Rose is plunged into a mystery. Who blew up Sophie’s car, and why? And did they really mean to kill her…or was Rose really the target?

When I opened this book, I was excited to read an Amish mystery, but when I read the first line, I hesitated, then looked at the copy write date—something I usually don’t check. This was originally published in 1999, with the title The Decision. It was originally part of three-book series, and it is again, as the final book in The Amish Farm Trilogy.

I reread the book, but I remembered it from when I originally read it, so nothing was a surprise to me. I don’t remember my original reactions so, can’t say whether I figured out the mystery easily or not back then. The writing is good, not great, with quite a bit of telling. Still, the story is interesting and if you haven’t read this book when originally published then it’s an Amish mystery, then you should pick up this book. Discussion questions are included at the end of the book. $10.99. 256 pages.

No comments:

The Mysterious Amish Bachelor: An Uplifting Inspirational Romance (Indiana Amish Market, 4)

  The Mysterious Amish Bachelor: An Uplifting Inspirational Romance  (Indiana Amish Market, 4) April 23, 2024 by  Vannetta Chapman   (Author...