Sunday, October 9, 2016

Interview with Vannetta Chapman


Where did you grow up and attend school? Are there any other authors in your family?  I was born in Los Angeles, attended school in Connecticut and Texas, and attended college at the University of Texas at Arlington where I earned my BA and MA in English. My grandmother wrote home economics books that were published in many languages. My father played with writing, but never attempted to publish anything.

How did you get started writing? How old were you? What made you want to start? What did you enjoy reading as a child?  I actually didn’t begin writing until after I received my MA, so I was 36. I really enjoyed learning how to effectively use language, but I didn’t like academic writing nearly as much as writing for readers. As a child, I read everything. My mother actually signed for me to have an adult library card when I was in 5th grade, because I’d read everything in the children’s room. It was a 2 room library, and I still remember how excited I was!

How and when did you and your husband meet? Was it love at first sight? What does he think about your being an author?  We met when I was a single mom. It was NOT love at first sight. I thought he was a nice guy and planned to “set him up” with my sister. Honestly I think that he has a variety of feelings about my being an author.  He’s proud, supportive, confused, unsure, and often befuddled. Is that the same as confused? 
J

How old are your children? Do they read your books? Have any of them got the writing bug, as well? Between us we have 4 children, all grown and out of the nest. Two of them were big readers, but now claim they’re just too busy. One will devour a series if he likes it, then not pick up another book for years. And one is special ed, so she’s not much of a reader.

How do you research the communities and people you write about? Do you find yourself having do a lot of research?  I try to visit every community I write about, walk the streets, have coffee with folks, just find out about them and their town. Other than that, I research as I write…so I might stop and look up something, but I still have to complete 2,000+ words a day. That keeps me from following too many research “bunny” trails.

Which is your favorite book? Do you have a character in your books you identify with the most? I do not have a favorite book. They’re all my favorite after I finish wrestling with them. Just. Like. CHILDREN! There’s usually a little bit of me in each protagonist. I could relate to Sarah because as a teacher I often wanted to reach out and adopt some of my children. And in a way, that is what teachers do.



Orphaned…But Never Abandoned by God

Sarah Yoder belongs to a Plain community in Oklahoma, but her days are far from simple. Life suddenly gets complicated when a series of tragic events unfold, leaving her in charge of the household.  

Alone with her younger siblings, Sarah is exhausted but finally at peace. Then she nearly runs over a small Hispanic boy with her buggy…and somehow finds herself sheltering two more orphans.

Paul Byler moved to Cody’s Creek to help his brother in a time of need. But now that Joseph has recovered from his heart attack, Paul’s ready for a quiet place of his own. The only problem? His new property lands him next door to the orphaned Yoder family—and a calling from God he can’t seem to ignore.

A story of extraordinary grace and love in the face of desperate need, Sarah’s Orphans is the third standalone novel in the Plain and Simple Miracles collection by Vannetta Chapman. 


Links



Bio

Vannetta Chapman writes inspirational fiction full of grace, including romantic suspense and Amish romance novels. She is the author of seventeen novels, including the Pebble Creek Amish series, The Shipshewana Amish Mystery series and Anna’s Healing, a 2016 Christy Award finalist. Vannetta is a Carol award winner and also received more than two dozen awards from Romance Writers of America chapter groups.  She was a teacher for 15 years and currently resides in the Texas hill country. For more information, visit her at www.VannettaChapman.com.

1 comment:

Marilyn R. said...

Thank you for sharing the interview with Vannetta Chapman. I've read Sarah's Orphan and enjoyed it especially since I've worked with foster children.

Abundant Grace: 40 Days of Walking in the Goodness of God: A #Devotional #preorder

  Abundant Grace: 40 Days of Walking in the Goodness of God: A Devotional  April 2, 2024 by  Will Kassner   (Author),  Courtney Kassner   (A...