Sunday, October 30, 2016

Sins of the Past

Sins of the Past

A Romantic Suspense Novella Collection 

Paperback, hardcover, ebook

May 3, 2016

by Dee Henderson (Author), 

Dani Pettrey (Author),

Lynette Eason (Author)


  • Paperback: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Bethany House Publishers; Reprint edition 
  • ISBN-13: 978-0764217975


Secrets and Lies. Danger That Will Never Go Away.
Join Three Beloved Masters of Romantic Suspense for Novellas Where the Past Will Not Stay Buried.
  

Dee Henderson - "Missing" A Wyoming sheriff is called to Chicago when his elderly mother goes missing from her retirement community. Paired with a savvy Chicago cop, the two soon launch into a race against the clock when they realize something dark may lie at the heart of the disappearance. 

My thoughts:  I probably cut my teeth on Dee Henderson's romantic suspense, and with good reason. Her O'Malley series was the best. I haven't cared for her more recent books, and honestly quit reading her stories. I wanted this collection due to Dani Pettrey's and Lynette Eason's inclusion, two of my three very favorite romantic suspense writers. I did greatly enjoy "Missing" and getting to know John and Sharon. A very slow romance, a mystery about an abducted senior citizen, and yes, I did figure out "who-dun-it" before the end of the book, but not the why. I was definitely engaged enough to keep reading to find out why. Good to read this novella by an old favorite. 

Dani Pettrey - "Shadowed" Adventure, romance, and danger collide when a young Alaskan fisherman nets the body of a Russian open water swimming competitor. Another swimmer, who'd been the dead woman's roommate years ago, is pulled into the search for answers as it grows more and more clear that something sinister is at play.

My thoughts: Dani Pettrey once again knocks the story out of the book. Larger than life, with realistic characters that I fell in love with. It was neat to meet the beginnings of the McKenna family with this not exactly modern story that happened in 1979. Contemporary enough that most readers would remember that era, but wow, what a difference 30+ years make in the world.  I loved Libby and John and enjoyed getting to know them as well as some other characters that appeared in Ms. Pettrey's Alaskan books. Loved the Coast Guard appearances!

Lynette Eason - "Blackout" A young woman once implicated in a robbery gone wrong finds herself at risk years later when the real culprit is up for parole. The loot taken that night has never been found and he believes she knows where it's hidden--only her memory of that night has always been unreliable. Can she remember enough to find her way to safety?

My thoughts: Lynette Eason's Blackout has scary moments. I think it was the scariest of the three stories, and kept me riveted, I had to stay up until I finished it.  I did figure out "Who-dun-it" with this book early, so that didn't surprise me. What did surprise me was the why.  

Overall thoughts: If you love romantic suspense, absolutely don't miss this collection by three top authors. LOVED it. 5 stars.  "I was provided a free paperback copy of this book. All opinions are my own." 

"These entertaining, fast-paced mysteries will keep readers guessing and engaged throughout. The chilling stories work well together and also easily stand alone."--RT Book Reviews

No comments:

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...