Thursday, June 14, 2018

Reading and Writing -- Old Friends? by Amberly Kristen Clowe



Reading and Writing -- Old Friends? 

by Amberly Kristen Clowe 


You know what first attracted me to my husband? (Besides his dashing good looks. For real.)

He made me laugh. 

And it wasn't some pity laugh. It was one of those don't-care-how-you-look, full-on belly laughs. After that, I was swooning all over the place. 

Over the years, I've discovered the same thing about my literary likes. When an author has that hilarious voice, the kind that you leaves you simultaneously reading and smiling without even realizing it, this is my jam. This is my happy place. 

I've perused so many library and bookstore shelves that I can now flip open a book and, usually within a paragraph, know if this story's for me. I know you know what I'm talking about. 

Well, guess what?

I write how I read. I'll rack my brain for the funniest way to speak to kids. I've always heard that authors should spend just as much time reading as writing, and I'm a total believer. Reading has helped me pinpoint what I enjoy, and when a writer truly enjoys her story, it shows. 

I'm curious. 

Is this the same for you? Do you grab the kind of titles you wish you had written? Do the books on your nightstand inspire your writing? 


And most importantly, can you recommend a hilarious work of fiction for moi





Bio:

Amberly Kristen Clowe, an elementary school teacher, writes from her home in Kingwood, TX, where she lives with her husband, two children, and dog, Roxie. The author of two picture books and a chapter book, Amberly is an avid cycler and fan of all things coffee. Amberly spends her days teaching and crafting stories that share faith in a fun way with young readers. Teeny Sweeney and the Mustache Cash is the first chapter book in the brand new Teeny Sweeney series published with Little Lamb Books. 
















Teeny Sweeney and the Mustache Cash blurb: 


Third-grader Teeny Sweeney has been one-upped by seemingly perfect Amanda Mayweather too many times. When their teacher assigns a project to create a business plan, Teeny knows she’s destined for success. After all, with two entrepreneurs as parents, business sense is in her blood! The best laid plans, though, often go awry. Teeny will have to learn that God’s plan is one she can always trust, and that with prayer it is possible to love everyone—even Amanda Mayweather. With Teeny, young readers will learn that even when things don’t seem to work out, you can always trust God’s plan.


Links:


Sign up for Amberly's monthly newsletter at her website, and also follow her weekly blog, Five Minute Friday, where she shares Bible lessons for children. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for putting up with me, Laura. :) ~Amberly

While the City Sleeps (Women of Midtown)

  While the City Sleeps  (Women of Midtown)  February 13, 2024 by  Elizabeth Camden   (Author) Amid the hushed city, two hearts must navigat...