Sunday, September 6, 2020

Chosen and Helped by Heidi Dru Kortman

 

Text: Isaiah 41:9-14.

“I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you. I said, ‘You are my servant’; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you, do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. All who rage against you will surely be ashamed and disgraced; those who oppose you will be as nothing and perish. Though you search for your enemies, you will not find them. Those who wage war against you will be as nothing at all. For I am the Lord your God, who takes hold of your right hand, and says to you, Do not fear, I will help you. Do not be afraid, O worm Jacob, O little Israel, for I myself will help you,” declares the Lord your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.”

Sometimes a passage reduces me to awe. The words of this text give me both duty and opportunity. In the aftermath of national calamity, I have felt useless. None of my skills seem to be useful, yet God has chosen to allow me to be handicapped and to be his servant simultaneously. I am chosen to serve, not rejected for my incapability, so there must be something useful to his kingdom that I can do.

Although I first had the idea for these mobility devotionals in 1986, I began to write them in 2001. When I sit at my keyboard, I doubt I can write anything that will make a real difference in anyone’s life, yet this passage tells me not to be dismayed, that God will strengthen, help and uphold me. His righteousness will produce results.

It may well be that God will allow massive numbers of people to have their bodies, minds and spirits marred by the experiences of war and terrorism. The idea horrifies me, and makes my efforts in these devotionals seem puny and ineffective.

If he chose to do it, God could remove all the enemies of his kingdom instantly. What he promises here is to make the opposing enemy as nothing, but we don’t know how he will do that. I am commanded not to fear, because it is God who has my right hand in his grasp.



Heidi Dru Kortman DTM

God's gifts and call are irrevocable.

heididrukortman.com.

 

Heidi Dru Kortman, a CWG Apprentice graduate, ACFW member since 2004, and Word Weaver member has published devotionals in various newsletters, and a collected volume of devotionals. Her poetry, flash fiction, and short stories have appeared in small magazines, and a website. She is applying herself to the task of writing smoothly polished fiction.

 






3 comments:

lollipops said...

Thank you, Heidi. I needed this today

B. J. Bassett said...

Right on. You go, girl.

HeidiDruKortman said...

Thanks Laura and Bunny.

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...