Monday, June 1, 2009

Never the Bride

(reviewed for Armchair Reviews)


Chick lit
June 2009
5 stars
www.waterbrookmultnomah.com

Never the Bride
Cheryl McKay and Rene Gutteridge
WaterBrook Press

Reviewed by Laura V. Hilton

Jessie Stone has dreamed of her perfect wedding, the perfect proposal, the perfect groom every since she was a little girl. But at thirty-four years old she is desperate for her dream to come true. Desperate enough to try speed dating. Desperate enough for just about anything.

Except God. God showing up, unexpected totally threw Jessie for a loop, especially when He demanded she give up her purple feather pen. But the purple feather pen has been around almost as long as Jessie has been writing perfect proposals in her journal. How can God possibly ask her to give it up?

When Jessie’s friends believe Jessie is certifiable, Jessie isn’t sure what to do next. How does one describe a God who has become REAL? And how can she possibly trust God to write the perfect romance for Jessie?

I read a co-written book (The Ultimate Gift) by Ms. Gutteridge before so I while the title tempted me, and the fact that Ms. Gutteridge writes funny stuff tempted me, I was a bit concerned that maybe this would be another book I didn’t care much for. However, I didn’t have anything to worry about. Jessie is a totally loveable heroine, if a little over the top, but still one that I couldn’t help but fall in love with. And since I love chick lits I enjoyed the style of the writing of this book. But I also loved the topic, the unexpectiveness of God posing as a stalker, a counselor, a date…

I totally love Never the Bride and highly recommend this book. This is a book that will speak to every woman, whether she’s single and looking, or whether she’s happily married but is being asked to trust God with something entirely different. I can’t wait for the movie to come out. If it is anything like the book, it will be great. $13.99. 310 pages.

No comments:

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...