Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chasing Sunsets


Title: CHASING SUNSETS
Author: Eva Marie Everson
Publisher: Revell
June 2011
ISBN: 978-0-8007-3436-7
Genre: Inspirational/women’s fiction

Kimberly Tucker’s ex-husband, Charlie, has just petitioned the courts for an extra week of visitation time with his sons. Kimberly is furious, he doesn’t spend the time with the boys anyway, he’s hanging out with other women. But Charlie lies to the judge, and the extra week of visitation is awarded to him.

At a loss what to do with her time, since, as a school teacher she’s out of work for the summer, Kimberly’s dad decides she needs to go to their vacation home in Cedar Key, Florida. Allegedly, it is to hire a new housekeeper. Kimberly’s plan is to get in, get the job done, and get out, so she’ll at least be in the same city as her sons.

But things don’t exactly work out that way. Housekeepers aren’t that easy to come by. And while Kimberly is in Cedar Key, she must face the past, the present, and the future… and possibly find a second chance at love.

Oh, my word. CHASING SUNSETS is your classic example of not judging a book by its cover. I read the back cover copy; decided this was a facing-your-demons type of women’s fiction, a divorced woman trying to find a new start. But this is so much more. A teenage romance grown up, family issues, and new friends make this a three dimensional story that I absolutely couldn’t put down. I fell in love with Kimberly and I had to keep reading until the end… but speaking of the ending, that kind of confused me. I’m not sure why the author chose to end the book the way she did** (I’m still thinking about that) but for whatever reason, this book was stellar. 5 stars. $14.99. 373 pages.

** the book didn't end where I thought it did. The publisher told me that the last chapter was actually the first chapter of Ms. Everson's next book, it just wasn't marked as such in the finished book.

1 comment:

Karla said...

I just finished reviewing this book too and loved it!! I was reluctant at first, but it is true, you don't judge it by the cover. I LOVED the story, but I also wondered about the ending.
Visit my blog at www.karla-hanns-karla.blogspot.com known as quiet quilter. We have reviewed many of the same books.

Just for the Summer: (A Fun Swapped Roles Contemporary Clean Romance Novel)

  Just for the Summer:  (A Fun Swapped Roles Contemporary Clean Romance Novel)  March 19, 2024 by  Melody Carlson   (Author) Ginny Masters m...