Sunday, July 8, 2018

A Dangerous Legacy

A Dangerous Legacy 

Paperback, ebook, hardcover, audio

October 3, 2017

by Elizabeth Camden

  • Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Bethany House Publishers 
  • ISBN-13: 978-0764218811

Page-Turning Romance and Intrigue in Award-Winning Author's Next Historical Novel

Lucy Drake's mastery of Morse code has made her a valuable asset to the American news agencies as a telegrapher. But the sudden arrival of Sir Colin Beckwith at rival British news agency Reuters puts her hard-earned livelihood at risk. Newly arrived from London, Colin is talented, handsome, and insufferably charming. 

Despite their rivalry, Lucy realizes Colin's connections could be just what her family needs to turn the tide of their long legal battle over the fortune they were swindled out of forty years ago. When she negotiates an unlikely alliance with him, neither of them realizes how far the web of treachery they're wading into will take them.

My thoughts:  A DANGEROUS LEGACY is the first book of Ms. Camden's newest series. I am seriously behind in reading her books so I have several in my to-be-read as-soon-as-possible pile beside me. I was glad this is the first book of the Empire State series so I didn't have to figure out what order to read them in. 

I liked Colin, a British hero, with an accent and  a sense of humor. What's not to like? Plus, he used homing pigeons which was a unique twist.  Lucy is somewhat prickly, but understandable since she is being stalked, her job is at risk, her uncle is suing her and her brother, and more.  There are several suspense threads going in this story.

I learned something new about morse-code operators. I didn't know (but probably should've) that they were used to dictate news stories as they came across the lines. I also didn't know that the two rival news agencies were in the same building in NYC.

The romance does take third place in this story and there is no faith message to speak of.  The suspense is second in storyline, but the main focus is the history. At times it almost felt like an information dump as if the author put in everything she researched regarding a subject (which I'm sure she didn't, it just felt that way.) 

This was not my favorite Elizabeth Camden book, but don't take my word for it. There are plenty of five star reviews.  If you love historical novels with a touch of romance and a suspense, you will likely love A DANGEROUS LEGACY.  

I was given a copy free. All opinions are my own. 


2 comments:

Marilyn R. said...

I like historical novles but prefer reading those with a faith message. Nice review, lollipops.

Marilyn R. said...

I like historical novels but prefer a faith message in them. Nice review, Lollipops.

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...