Saturday, August 11, 2018

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive When Opportunity Roars

In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive When Opportunity Roars 

Paperback, ebook, hardcover, audio, audio CD

August 16, 2016

by Mark Batterson (Author)

  • Paperback: 208 pages
  • Publisher: Multnomah 
  • ISBN-13: 978-1601429292

Your greatest regret at the end of your life will be the lions you didn't chase.
You will look back longingly on risks not taken, opportunities not seized, and dreams not pursued. Stop running away from what scares you most and start chasing the God-ordained opportunities that cross your path. In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day is inspired by one of the most obscure yet courageous acts recorded in Scripture, a blessed and audacious act that left no regrets: “Benaiah chased a lion down into a pit. Then, despite the snow and slippery ground, he caught the lion and killed it” (2 Samuel 23:20 -21). 

Unleash the lion chaser within! #InAPit

My thoughts:  IN A PIT WITH A LION ON A SNOWY DAY is the first book I read by Dr. Mark Batterson. My son read it before I did, then my sixteen year old daughter read it, and now finally I was able to finish it (I started it a long time ago, but it was taken away from me by children so they could read it.)  

I was fascinated by the quotes I read from this book on twitter and I finally went and looked it up on Amazon and bought a copy (so I am a verified buyer, if Amazon kept track of that back then). 

This is based on an obscure passage of scripture, which I went and looked up and read several times, asked my  pastor husband about, and studied up on myself.  And this book IN A PIT WITH A LION ON A SNOWY DAY tells some of Dr. Batterson's stories about starting his church, dreaming big, reaching for the dreams, and basically chasing down the lions that want to kill your dreams and killing them.

My son and daughter and I all greatly enjoyed this book and I bought two more books by Dr. Batterson to read. My daughter said "Mark Batterson is quickly becoming my favorite nonfiction writer."  I said "You mean, pastor?" And she said "No, writer.  I've never been to his church."  Me neither.  So yes.  He is definitely ranked among my favorite nonfiction writers too. 

IN A PIT WITH A LION ON A SNOWY DAY is a great read, encouraging, motivating, and inspiring. If you haven't read it yet, you'll want to. Highly recommended. 

I bought a copy of this book, all opinions are my own and I was not required to write a review. 

1 comment:

Cara Putman said...

I love his books. They always challenge me. I'd love to know what you think of Circle Maker!

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...