Saturday, April 25, 2020

Interview with Candee Fick about her new book A Castle in the Clouds



Today we welcome Candee Fick to my blog. Candee is a critique partner and a dear friend and I love her stories.

Thanks for stopping by Candee.  Tell us about the book:


My contribution to the Love is in the Air boxed set collection is called A Castle in the Clouds. Inspired by my real-life trip to teach writing to students at a castle in Colorado, the two main characters find themselves chaperoning a dozen high school students on a literary tour of Scotland, England, and Paris. Sparks start flying at the airport, but falling in love surrounded by teenagers was never part of the plan.

Why do you write the kind of books you do?

I write Christian romance—both contemporary and historical settings—with the goal to encourage fellow believers with a mixture of faith, hope, and love while putting God’s amazing attributes on display. The current series I’m working on revolves around the idea that we are adopted into God’s family…and if you’re a child of the King of Kings, doesn’t that remind you a bit of royalty and castles? And yet, Jesus was the ultimate example of a servant leader who did not grasp onto the superficial trappings of his position. I’ve enjoyed crafting characters who discover that same contrast between serving and leading while stepping into their God-given gifts and identities.

What is your current work in progress?

I’m in the process of research for The Lost Heir, another castle book set in Regency era England. I know my characters and the essential plot elements but need to verify a few historical and geographic facts first so I don’t write myself into an impossible corner. Once I get the wrinkles ironed out, the words should pile up quickly. I’m hoping for a release in August.

What three things about you would surprise readers?

I hold a degree in Elementary Education but my first full-time job included teaching high school Chemistry. I was voted cross country coach of the year by our league during the same season I was battling mono for the second time. And prior to quitting that job so I could write and edit full-time, I spent fifteen years doing legal research in asbestos cases for an industrial hygiene company.

What are your hobbies, besides writing and reading?

You just had to take reading off the table, didn’t you? That’s my biggest stress reliever. But outside that absolute favorite, I’d have to say I really enjoy crocheting and putting together puzzles. There’s just something so satisfying about measurable progress and the repetitive process is calming which in turn sparks bursts of creative ideas.

What is your most difficult writing obstacle, and how do you overcome it?

The current pandemic has drained my creativity and having everyone at home constantly interrupting makes getting into “the flow” virtually impossible. Not to mention the underlying anxiety and series of unknowns hasn’t helped either my quality of sleep or my blood pressure. I’m doing my best to exercise, eat healthy, nap, and read to reduce the stress levels so my brain and body are as good as they can be. I’ve also given myself permission to just get “something” done even if it’s nowhere near as much as I would normally do. When this crisis passes, my pace can finally pick up again, but in the meantime, I’m still making progress even if it’s slow.

Share your bio:

Candee Fick is a multipublished, award-winning author. She is also the wife of a high school football coach and the mother of three children, including a daughter with a rare genetic syndrome. When not busy writing, editing, or coaching other authors, she can be found cheering on the home team at sporting events, exploring the great Colorado outdoors, indulging in dark chocolate, and savoring happily-ever-after endings through a good book.

Social media and buying links

Love is in the Air: https://books2read.com/u/3LDxaD


My thoughts (LVH):   I loved A CASTLE IN THE CLOUDS! Such a unique idea!  I wish I would've had an English teacher like this.  I learned somethings about  Shakespeare I didn't know.  This was a  great read.






2 comments:

Candee Fick said...

Thanks so much for hosting me today! I can't wait to share this story with the world.

Marilyn R. said...

Nice to meet you here, Candee. I'm looking forward to A Castle in the Clouds along with rest of the stories in this boxed set. I've pre-ordered. : )

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...