Monday, November 14, 2022

Interview with Chip Arnold and Henry O. Arnold about The Singer in Israel

 


 

Tell us about the book:

 


The Singer of Israel
is the third volume in my biblical fiction series The Song of Prophets and Kings. This series is dedicated to telling the stories of the first three kings of Israel and matching them with the first three major prophets of Israel. The first two volumes are entitled A Voice Within the Flame and Crown of the Warrior King. In the first volume, the reader is introduced to Samuel the prophet who anoints Saul, to be the first king of Israel. The second volume is the early days of Saul's reign and his eventual fall from grace.

 

In The Singer of Israel the story begins with David the poet/shepherd crossing the mountains to meet up with the army of Israel camped at the Valley of Elah. With the beauty of his voice the king and the royal family are smitten. But when David slays Goliath, he becomes known throughout the land as the "giant-slayer." David and Mikal, the daughter of the king, fall in love and are married. But King Saul sees David as a threat to his throne and makes several attempts to have David killed. It becomes so dangerous for David that he must flee for his life. Mikal risks her life to save him and is banished from the palace for her disloyalty to her father, the king.

 

How did your interest in writing originate?

 

My parents were actors, teachers, and writers. There is a love of words and storytelling in my DNA. When I became a professional actor it was a natural fit, and the love of language, spoken and written, flowed through me like my bloodstream.

 

What does your writing process look like?

 

There is a lot of research involved ahead of time. Before I begin to write, I think about the characters for a long time. I imagine the scenes that might become the flow of the story and watch the characters play within those scenes. It's much like a rehearsal process for a play. Once I begin to understand the shape of the story, I begin to write what is played out in my imagination. I might have a rough outline, what I call the action throughline, but nothing is written in stone. At any time, the characters can surprise me and the action can take an unexpected turn.  For me, it is an exciting creative process.

 

If you could cast your characters in the Hollywood adaptation of your book, who would play your characters?

 

I come from a professional life in the theatre, so I would want to cast actors who really know their craft. Certainly, there is a marquiee factor when you cast high-profile stars in leading roles. But I would choose lesser known actors who have the acting chops and who understand the spiritual nature of their characters and the story they are telling.

 

Who was your favorite character in The Singer of Israel.

 

I have to say I have two favorites, David and Mikal. A shepherd and a princess fall in love. A very unlikely match, but in spite of the forces arrayed against them, from a giant to a king, they fall in love and enjoy a life together albiet for a short time. 

 

I love David for his deep sense of right and wrong and his holding of God and the king in highest honor. I love Mikal for her devotion to David even to the point of risking her life and eventual banishment to save the life of her husband. They are indeed "star-crossed lovers."

 

What are you working on now? What is your next project?

 

I just completed the fourth volume in this biblical series entitled The Fugitive King. There will be five volumes before the series is complete. But for now I have to write a sequel to my contemporary thriller series The Mercy Seat. The first novel releases from Mountain Brook Ink publishers in January 2024.

 

Share your bio:

 


Henry O. Arnold co-authored the novel Hometown Favorite, with Bill Barton, and a work of nonfiction, KABUL24, with Ben Pearson. He co-wrote and produced with Steve Taylor and Ben Pearson the film The Second Chance starring Michael W. Smith. He wrote the screenplay for the documentary on evangelist Billy Graham, God's Ambassador and the documentary KABUL24, based on the book. His latest documentary film I Go to The Rock: The Gospel Roots of Whitney Houston, will be released in 2023.

 

The Singer of Israel is the third volume in his historical fiction series, The Song of Prophets and Kings. The first two volumes, A Voice Within the Flame and Crown of the Warrior King, are also published by WhiteFire Publishing. He lives on a farm in Tennessee with his lovely wife Kay. They have two beautiful daughters married to two handsome men with three above-average grandchildren. For more information please visit: www.henryoarnold.com

 

Social media and buying links

 

1) Website and Newsletter: www.henryoarnold.com

2) Instagram: Henry O. Arnold

3) Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com  Henry O. Arnold and Chip Arnold

4) Goodreads: www.goodreads.com Henry O. Arnold

5) Amazon Author: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B097S85LFX

6) YouTube: Henry O. Arnold: www.youtube.com

7) Bi-monthly Newsletter – Conversations at the Crossroads accessed through www.henryoarnold.com

8) Author Page at WhiteFire-Publishing: www.WhiteFire-Publishing.com

 





No comments:

The Wonder of God’s Hem and Hand By Sharon Musgrove #devotional

  The Wonder of God’s Hem and Hand By Sharon Musgrove   “You hem me in, behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.” Psalm 139:5...