Wednesday, November 12, 2014

An Amish Second Christmas

Title: AN AMISH SECOND CHRISTMAS
Authors: Beth Wiseman, Kathy Fuller, Ruth Reid, and Tricia Goyer
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
October 2014
ISBN:  978-1401689810
Genre: Amish/Christmas novellas

Celebrate Second Christmas, a treasured, lighthearted time of community, with four Amish romances. 

“When Christmas Comes Again” by Beth Wiseman

Katherine knows the first Christmas without Elias will be hard for her and the children. But when a mysterious Englischer appears with photographs of her late husband, Katherine  begins to wonder what other blessings Christmas could have in store. 

My thoughts: When Christmas Comes Again wasn't technically a romance, though Katherine's oldest daughter has a beau. It was women's fiction. I enjoyed getting to know Katherine and hearing some of the details of her deceased husband's life--that he didn't even know. I enjoyed reading this story. Ms. Wiseman's writing talents shine with women's fiction. 

“Her Christmas Pen Pal” by Ruth Reid

Joy was expecting a wedding proposal from Henry; what she got instead was news of another woman. But when her heartfelt letter to a cousin ends up in the hands of a young cabinetmaker, an unexpected correspondence between two strangers gets interesting fast.

My thoughts: Oh, Her Christmas Pen Pal was a cute book. I totally loved Noah! He was a sweetheart. I appreciated that Joy learned to stand up for herself and that her brother-in-law listened to her somewhat. I felt this story was kind of unfinished, it just ended and nothing was resolved, but it was cute. 

“A Gift for Anne Marie” by Kathleen Fuller

Anne Marie and Nathaniel have been best friends since they were kids. Now things are evolving . . . in ways everyone else predicted long ago. But when her mother suddenly decides to remarry in another state, Anne Marie’s new chapter with Nathaniel looks doomed to end before it begins. 

My thoughts:  Another sweet story, and a sigh of contentment when it ended. I loved getting to know this couple and so glad Ms. Fuller wrote this story. Very good. Anne Marie has some growing up to do, but with Nathaniel as her friend I'm sure she will. I didn't like the way Nathaniel mindlessly followed Anne Marie's friend, and glad he finally stood up for what he knew was right. 

“The Christmas Aprons” by Tricia Goyer

Vanilla crumb pie has been Esther’s mem’s calling card for decades. But when Esther finally gets her hands on the secret recipe, she discovers that vanilla crumb pie is more than just dessert . . . it’s bachelor bait.

My thoughts:  Ah, sweet.  I love Ms Goyer's Amish stories set in Montana and I enjoyed getting to know Ammon and Esther.  Very sweet romance. I felt bad for Ammon. He has a lot on his plate.  I hope to see more Amish books from Ms. Goyer.  

Final thoughts:  I loved this entire collection. If you love Amish fiction, you won't want to miss this book.  Great stories.  Highly recommended. 
 Available in ebook, hardcopy, audio, and in paperback. 240 pages.


1 comment:

Judy said...

Great review Laura! I loved this entire collection too!

Blessings!
Judy B

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...