Sunday, February 11, 2018

Interview with Tamera Lynn Kraft

Today we welcome Tamera Lynn Kraft to my blog. Tamela, good to have you stop by. Tell us about the book – can you share the blurb?

Red Sky Over America
Ladies of Oberlin, Book 1
By Tamera Lynn Kraft

In 1857, America, the daughter of a slave owner, is an abolitionist and a student at Oberlin College, a school known for its radical ideas. America goes home to Kentucky during school break to confront her father about freeing his slaves.

America's classmate, William, goes to Kentucky to preach abolition to churches that condone slavery. America and William find themselves in the center of the approaching storm sweeping the nation and may not make it home to Ohio or live through the struggle.

"Red Sky Over America tackles the most turbulent time in history with thorough research and fascinating characters. Tamera Lynn Kraft has woven a tale about the evils of slavery that should never be forgotten." -- Mary Ellis, author of The Quaker and the Rebel, The Lady and the Officer, and The Last Heiress.



Where do you get your inspiration for your books?

I get my inspiration from American history. For instance, in Red Sky Over America, I was researching women ministers in the late 1800s. I was thinking of writing a story using a woman minister from that time period. What I found was most of them graduated from Oberlin College in Ohio.

When I researched Oberlin, I found out it was the first college, even before the Civil War, that allowed women and blacks to get college degrees. I looked into it further and found out the president of the college was none other than Charles Finney, Second Great Awakening's fiery evangelist.

Digging deeper, I noticed Oberlin College was in the middle of every social movement of the late 1800s including abolition, women's sufferage, prohibition, and child labor laws. It also was a large part of the missionary movement. 90% of missionaries sent overseas by the American Missionary Society between 1860 and 1900 were graduates of Oberlin College.

That is what inspired me to start a series of novels called Ladies of Oberlin. Book 1, Red Sky Over America, centers around the abolitionist movement shortly before the Civil War.

What's your key environment that helps you get to writing? Do you have a writer’s nook, corner, getaway? Where do you do your most productive writing?

At the moment, I use what I have. I have a desk set up in the corner of my guest bedroom. However, in March, we are moving to a new house we built in the mountains of Tennessee. I will have a designated office with a beautiful view. I'm including pics of the doorway into the office and the view. If this can't inspire me, nothing will.



 What are you saying in your books that will encourage Christians today?

Each book I've written has different theme, but they all have powerful messages for Christians. Red Sky Over America talks about speaking the truth in the face of evil no matter the consequences. That's a theme that is just as important today as it was then. Alice's Notions' theme is courage to do what needs done. It also deals with prejudice and forgiveness. Resurrection of Hope talks about how Christ is the anchor of our hope in times of desperation and hopelessness. A Christmas Promise, a story about Moravian missionaries in Colonial Ohio, has the theme of casting our cares and worries on God. The encouragement God gave throughout history is the same encouragement He gives to believers today.

How do you pick names for your characters?

Names are important to me. I'm always very intentional in choosing names that fit the characters. First, I look at names that were popular in the time period when the story is set. For instance, William and America, my main characters in Red Sky Over America, were in the top 100 names for the 1830s when they were born. William was in the top 10 names.

I also give a lot of importance to the meaning when choosing names. William means protector. My main male character, William learns to become a protector in unexpected ways. America, my female main character, means bold or powerful leader. America learns to be bold as she stands up to her father.

How important are reviews to you?

Reviews are extremely important. While I know not everyone will enjoy my stories, the more honest reviews I have, the more likely people will take notice and take a chance to read one of my books. Of course, I'd love for those who love my stories to give glowing reviews, but all reviews are helpful.

Who are some of your favorite authors? What genre is your favorite? What books have you enjoyed lately?

I am very eclectic when it comes to my favorite authors and genres. I enjoy Julie Lessman and Ann Shorey when it comes to historicals. I love Lynette Eason, Dee Henderson, and Brandi Lyn Collins when it comes to romantic suspense. I also enjoy Mary Ellis' romantic suspense and Amish novels. When I'm in the mood for something more intense in the suspense category, I love to read a Steven James novel. James L. Rubart and Ted Dekker are also some of my favorites.

Bio

Tamera Lynn Kraft has always loved adventures. She loves to write historical fiction set in the United States because there are so many stories in American history. There are strong elements of faith, romance, suspense and adventure in her stories. She has received 2nd place in the NOCW contest, 3rd place TARA writer’s contest, and is a finalist in the Frasier Writing Contest and has other novels and novellas in print. She’s been married for 39 years to the love of her life, Rick, and has two married adult children and three grandchildren. 

Tamera has been a children’s pastor for over 20 years. She is the leader of a ministry called Revival Fire for Kids where she mentors other children’s leaders, teaches workshops, and is a children’s ministry consultant and children’s evangelist and has written children’s church curriculum. She is a recipient of the 2007 National Children’s Leaders Association Shepherd’s Cup for lifetime achievement in children’s ministry.

Links – social media and to buy

You can contact Tamera online at these sites.
Word Sharpeners Blog: http://tameralynnkraft.com
You can purchase Red Sky Over America at these online sites:

2 comments:

Marilyn R. said...

Nice interview with Tamera Lynn Kraft. Red Sky over America is on my TBR list. I enjoy historical fiction. Blessings.

Tamera Lynn Kraft said...

Thanks, Marilyn.

The Mysterious Amish Bachelor: An Uplifting Inspirational Romance (Indiana Amish Market, 4)

  The Mysterious Amish Bachelor: An Uplifting Inspirational Romance  (Indiana Amish Market, 4) April 23, 2024 by  Vannetta Chapman   (Author...