Monday, May 28, 2018

Interview with Deanie Humphrys-Dunne



Today we welcome Deanie Humphrys-Dunne to my blog. Deanie, glad to have you stop by. Tell us about the book:

My Life at Sweetbrier is my personal story about the power of perseverance, family support and horses. I grew up at a riding school called Sweetbrier. I loved the horses and my singular dream was to compete successfully in shows. But, I didn’t start walking until After my dad told the doctor his strong views on that opinion he said not to worry because he would teach me to ride horses and I would be fine. That decision changed my life. He and I set out to prove the doctor wrong.  The family motto was “The Humphrys don’t give up,” so surrender was never an option. It was a challenging journey, but so rewarding.

The story would appeal to families, teachers, dads, anyone with a disability, as well as horse lovers. It shows perseverance is the key to success.

Why do you write the kind of books you do?

My objective is to entertain children with books that inspire them to reach for their dreams. I want readers to welcome challenges and realize that many goals can be met if they don’t give up. All of my fictional stories are told by the endearing animal characters. They emphasize things like setting goals, helping others, kindness, and perseverance.

What is your current work in progress?

I hope to publish my first picture book, with my sister, Holly Humphrys-Bajaj, as illustrator. She beautifully illustrated all of my fictional books and their covers.

What three things about you would surprise readers?

  • I was a voice student for many years and performed in recitals.
  • I love waltz music and the dresses women wore during that era.
  • I studied medical coding.

 
What are your hobbies, besides writing and reading?

I’m an avid Yankee fan and I try not to miss any of their games. I love spending time with my family. Music and singing are enjoyable for me, as well as watching equestrian events and figure skating competitions along with reviewing and editing books for fellow authors.

What is your most difficult writing obstacle, and how do you overcome it?

In the beginning of my writing career, I lacked the confidence to explore becoming an author. But I remembered my dad saying “What’s the worst that can happen?” In this case, I felt if my first book wasn’t published, I’d investigate why and correct the issues. Also, I found doing recorded interviews was difficult because I felt so nervous, but with practice, I became somewhat more comfortable with being interviewed.




Share your bio:

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne is an award-winning children’s book author with six books published at this time: My Life at Sweetbrier, Charlie the Horse, Charlene the Star, Charlene the Star and Hattie’s Heroes, Charlene the Star and Bentley Bulldog and Tails of Sweetbrier.  All of her books offer positive messages for children, such as; setting goals, perseverance, sharing and friendship. Her sister, Holly Humphrys-Bajaj, beautifully illustrates all of Deanie’s fictional books and designs the covers.  The fictional stories are told by the memorable animal characters, who keep readers entertained with their endearing personalities. The animals find creative ways to help their friends.  All books are available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. You may also order signed copies from Deanie.

 My Life at Sweetbrier is an inspirational award-winning memoir about a little girl whose one desire was to become a champion equestrian, in spite of her handicap. This book is a revised, expanded version of her first book, Tails of Sweetbrier.

Deanie is a graduate of the Institute of Children’s Literature. Her books have won a number of awards and recognition including her latest awards for My Life at Sweetbrier; The gold medal in the New Apple Book Awards, and the gold medal in the Mom’s Choice award, the Reader’s Favorite silver medal, and two cover awards. Other awards are listed on Deanie’s website:

Links:
Amazon Author page:
Facebook:
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/DeanieHDunne




2 comments:

Marilyn R. said...

Thanks you for featuring Deanie Humphrys-Dunne on your blog. Nice to meet another new author. My Life at Sweetbrier sounds inspiring, Deanie. Keep your persevarance strong by writing more stories.

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

Thank you, Marilyn. That's the plan. Our next story will be a picture book. :)
Special thanks for Laura for featuring me on her blog. So honored to be here.

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...