Sunday, September 8, 2019

Revelation—Things to Come by B. J. Bassett



‘Come on in; the food’s on the table.’ Luke 14:17


Today, while reading Revelation 2, I was reminded of things to come. “I’m about to call each conqueror to dinner. I’m spreading a banquet of Tree-of-Life fruit, a supper plucked from God’s orchard.”Can you imagine sitting at God’s table not as a guest, but as His daughter?

The chapter later explains what we’ll be wearing at the banquet.“I have a Life-Crown sized and ready for you.”Our Daddy is King. And I’m tickled to be His daughter.

As His daughter, I’m called to share His story (the Gospel) with others. I do that through my writing, teaching, speaking, and my life. I recently gave a book talk on my novels, Lily, Gillian’s Heart, and Sweet Charity. During my presentation, I shared how I love naming my characters. Lily has red hair
in Lily, like the wild lilies in the fields. (Lily is spoiled and selfish.) I chose Gilly, a nick name her friends call her, in Gillian’s Heart. And in Sweet Charity Nancy (Nan) and Connie are friends. They are names I liked during my high school years. I enjoy creating names for my characters. I wonder if our Papa Creator enjoys giving us new names.

“I’ll also give a clear, smooth stone inscribed with your new name, your secret new name.” How exciting! I wonder what my new name will be. Will He name me Mary like the mother of Jesus? Or will I be Esther, for such a time as this? Maybe my new name will be Ruth.

I look forward to sitting beside my Daddy God and eat from His Garden, wearing a crown, and hear Him call me by my new name. The name He has chosen for me?

Daddy God, You fill me with joy. I’m ready for the day You call me home and I hear You call me by my new name. Until then, help me tell Your story to those You’ve already chosen to sit at Your table. Amen.




B. J. Bassett encourages others as an author, teacher and speaker. Her books include a contemporary novel, Gillian’s Heart; a historical novel Lily; Sweet Charity; A Touch of Grace—The G.R.A.C.E. Ministries Story; and coauthor of a children’s devotional My Time with God, Focus on the Family, Heritage Builders, with over 55,000 copies sold.

As a contributing writer, publications consist of Writer’s Handbook 2000, The Writer, and The Focus on the Family Guide to Growing a Healthy Home, Wolgemuth& Hyatt, Publishers, Inc.—consistently on Bookstore Journal’s Best-selling Christian Books List from November 1990 - February 1991, and voted the 10 Best Books for 1990 by Today’s Christian Woman.

Magazines, devotional booklets, curriculum and newspaper publishers include Focus on the Family, Woman’s World, The Quiet Hour, Pathways to God, Devotions, Harcourt Brace, WordAction, Gospel Publishing and Times Standard (newspaper).

She teaches writing workshops at Umpqua Community College, Roseburg, OR and at writer’s conferences. As a speaker for Stonecroft Ministries, she tells her story of rejection and acceptance, not only in life, but as a writer as well. She also offers book talks, including discussion questions and shares the journey -- from the seed of an idea to a published book.

Memberships: ACFW and Oregon Christian Writers (OCW).

She enjoys reading, jigsaw puzzles, knitting, munching warm scones oozing with butter and strawberry jam and sipping earl grey tea.








4 comments:

HeidiDruKortman said...

Lovely images, Bunny, and definitely something to anticipate.

Kathleen said...

Well done, Bunny. You've painted a beautiful picture of Christ's wedding feast, stirring my anticipation.

Marie Bast said...

It is easy to see, BJ, that you are answering your calling. Thanks for sharing.

B. J. Bassett said...

Thanks, Laura. You bless me with the opportunity to share my faith with others.

Where Am I? God, Help Me! #Devotional by Becky Van Vleet

  “Ah, Lord  God ! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for...