Friday, May 1, 2020

Interview with Kathleen Rouser about her new book Flying Into Love





Today we welcome new to me author Kathleen Rouser to my blog. Tell us about the book:

Here’s the blurb:

Unable to say no when others need her, Talia Sampson took on her deceased aunt’s advice column and the care of her special needs niece. Then new veteran, Ben Tanner, shows up unexpected on her doorstep. Hurt many times, he wonders where home is. Talia isn’t happy finding a hot-air balloon with him, but she treasures the old journal with it. Ben hopes restoring her family’s antique will please her, until he discovers a secret that shatters his trust. And Talia hates flying. 

Will she trust God—and Ben—enough to go airborne?

How did your interest in writing originate?

My mother reading to me when I was a little girl. I fell in love with stories and wanted to make up my own. My dream was to grow up and become a writer.

What does your writing process look like?


I think of myself as a plantster, since I start out my the seat of my pants, but then I need to have more of a plan to make my way through the messy middle.

Usually, it seems that a character comes to mind who I would like to write a story about. With that first wave of enthusiasm I like to write the first few chapters. I then usually write a rough paragraph outline and follow that for the rest of the story, with room for change or additions.

I say usually, because much of this last story was written by a seat of the pants process. Smile.

If you could cast your characters in the Hollywood adaptation of your book, who would play your hero and heroine?

Ben Tanner would be played by Jesse Metcalfe, beard stubble and all. For Talia Sampson, I envision a little bit younger version of Alicia Witt with a bit darker hair.

Who was your favorite character in Flying Into Love?

That is difficult, because while I felt I understood Talia the best, and enjoyed writing about her, I really enjoyed writing about her niece with Down Syndrome, Bianca. There was something about writing her sweet innocence and yet, her temper and enthusiasm comes through. She is a complicated little girl who is beloved and creates a bridge between Ben and Talia.

What are you working on now? What is your next project?

I’m in that rare spot of being in between projects and deciding what to work on
next. I’m hoping to work on another contemporary romance and have plans for a YA historical series.


Share your bio:

Kathleen Rouser is the award-winning author of Rumors and Promises, and a multi-published author of historical Christian romance. She is a longtime member in good standing of American Christian Fiction Writers. 

Kathleen has loved making up stories since she was a little girl and wanted to be a writer before she could even read. She’s in the grip of God’s grace and is a fan of the three Cs—cats, coffee, and chocolate.

The mother of three, who is a former homeschool instructor, mild-mannered dental assistant, and current Community Bible Study kids’ teacher, lives in Michigan with her hero and husband of thirty-some years, and two sweet cats who found a home in their empty nest.

Social media and buying links


Buy link for Flying Into Love:
My Amazon page with links to all my books: https://www.amazon.com/Kathleen-Rouser/e/B00P3BR662?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1&qid=1587786152&sr=8-1


My thoughts (LVH):  This story has dual romances and dual time periods. A truly unique read.  I wanted to give Ben a good talking to and Tal some  parenting advice, but I loved the premise behind the balloon.  The Advanced Reader  Copy I read sort did feel a bit unfinished, but the reader can guess.








2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Great interview, Laura. And I enjoyed getting to know you better, Kathy. Thank you both!

Marilyn R. said...

Nice interview with Kathleen Rouser. I've enjoyed reading her other books. I'm looking forward to reading this collection.

The Mysterious Amish Bachelor: An Uplifting Inspirational Romance (Indiana Amish Market, 4)

  The Mysterious Amish Bachelor: An Uplifting Inspirational Romance  (Indiana Amish Market, 4) April 23, 2024 by  Vannetta Chapman   (Author...