Friday, December 19, 2008

The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society

Title: THE SWEETGUM KNIT LIT SOCIETY
Author: Beth Pattillo
Publisher: WaterBrook Press
2008
ISBN: 978-1-4000-7394-8
Genre: Inspirational/women’s fiction

Hannah is thirteen years old, and already a problem child. When the town librarian, Eugenie, catches Hannah defacing a knitting book, it doesn’t take long for her to sentence the sullen teenager to community service time at the library after school, and into joining the knit lit club that meets in the basement of the church once a month. Hannah isn’t at all happy about the arrangement, but it beats hanging out at home where her mom doesn’t even know she exists, or making out with some loser in the cemetery.

Each of the members of the knit lit society have their own sets of problems. Esther’s husband is in love with Esther’s sister, Ruthie. Merry is having a baby—and she feels she’s losing herself. Camille’s mother is dying. And Ruthie isn’t sure what to do. Live a life she despise or run.

As Hannah is stitched into their lives, the women discover that they can still be the heroines of their own stories.

I wasn’t real sure what to expect from THE SWEETGUM KNIT LIT SOCIETY, but it wasn’t what I got. I didn’t expect these ladies from a knitting group to reach out and enfold me into their stories, their lives, and their midst. I thoroughly fell in love with each one of the main characters, and couldn’t help but feeling for them. Even Esther’s husband won my heart. I almost wished I knew how to knit so I could join these ladies once a month.

I was real sorry when this book ended. I loved the hint of happiness that the book ended with for some of the characters, but wished I knew for sure what happened in some situations. I loved this story and hope that I can read more about these characters sometime in the future. This book is a heartwarming book that will draw you in and let you snuggle in the warmth of the knitted shawls and friendship. Discussion questions and instructions for a basic shawl are included at the end of the book. $13.99. 335 pages.

No comments:

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...