Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Missing Max


Title: MISSING MAX
Author: Karen Young
Publisher: Howard Books
June 2010
ISBN: 978-1-4165-8749-1
Genre: Inspirational/women’s fiction

Jane didn’t really want to take her sixteen year old step-daughter, Melanie, to the parade, but her husband, Kyle, had to work, so she had to bundle up her six-month-old son, Max, and take him along too. When Melanie got hungry, Jane left Max in Melanie’s care and went to order food. But before she even received her food someone kidnapped Max while Melanie’s attention was distracted.

Now Melanie, Jane, and Kyle are struggling to adjust to the Max size hole in their lives. Melanie is no longer happy, but withdrawn and angry. Kyle and Jane are having marital problems. Jane can’t focus on her job and is volunteering too many hours at the missing children’s center.

Lead after lead goes no where, and weeks go by with no word. Is there any hope that Max will ever be found, alive?

MISSING MAX is the first book I’ve read by award winning author, Karen Young, but it certainly won’t be the last. When I read the backcover copy of this book I didn’t think it would sound much like a book I would be too interested in, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The story telling pretty much gripped me from page one, and kept my attention all the way through the book. Parts of it might be construed as a bit contrived, but they don’t stand out too much in the reading—only in the thinking back after you finished turning the last page.

The characters are realistically developed, though sometimes I wanted to shake Melanie and Kyle for their actions. And I have to say that I love Daniel, the boy “next door.” He is a sweetheart. Don’t miss MISSING MAX. $14.99. 320 pages.

No comments:

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...