Wednesday, October 14, 2015

I Can Read 2 - Ruth and Naomi and The Good Samaritan

Ruth and Naomi (I Can Read! / Adventure Bible) 

Paperback

September 1, 2015

by David Miles (Illustrator)

  • Age Range: 4 - 8 years
  • 32 pages
  • Publisher: Zonderkidz 
  • ISBN-13: 978-0310746508
  • Reviewed by Kay

In this retelling of the Old Testament story of Ruth and Naomi, young readers learn about the loving kindness of people for one another and the loving influence of God in their lives. When Ruth decides to follow her mother-in-law to a strange land, after the death of her husband, she proves her dedication to family and God.
Written in the I Can Read level 2, this story shows how love and honor are rewarded by God with great gifts, like Ruth meeting Boaz and being part of establishing the line of King David. Perfect for beginning readers ages 4-8, learning Bible stories on their own.

My thoughts:  I loved reading the story of Ruth and Naomi because it was so passionate and brought joy to my heart to know that they were taken care of, and it was so romantic to know they fell in love and got married again.  

Mom's thoughts:  I liked having a Bible story written in my daughter's reading level. She did struggle a little over the names, but otherwise, she handled it with ease and it gave her reading confidence.  I liked the simpler story, but I did miss the whole story, the part where she went to Boaz in the night and laid by his feet and he covered her - that made it even more romantic in my opinion. I also missed how Boaz tried to do the right thing by finding a closer kinsman redeemer than himself. This wasn't touched on in the story. Otherwise, great job!  Loved the art work. 


*******************************************************************************************


The Good Samaritan (I Can Read! / Adventure Bible) 

Paperback – eBook

September 1, 2015

by David Miles (Illustrator)

  • Age Range: 4 - 8 years
  • 32 pages
  • Publisher: Zonderkidz 
  • ISBN-13: 978-0310746621
Reviewed by Kay: 

Ever wonder why they called him the “Good” Samaritan? Find out why in this level 2 I Can Read, written in the tradition of the popular Adventure Bible.
Jewish people and the Samaritans were enemies … they would never have considered helping one another. So what happens when a Jew is robbed, and left on the side of the road to die? Who stops to help? Read as Jesus tells a remarkable story about a man who serves his neighbor as God would want. Perfect for beginning readers ages 4-8, learning Bible stories on their own.

My thoughts:  This was a cool story. I'm glad the Samaritan was nice to the poor man. I wonder if he ever went back to visit him.  I don't understand why the priest and the other temple worker wouldn't help. 

Mom's thoughts: It is good having a book my daughter could read on her own. It helps to build up her reading confidence and skills. She enjoyed the story, but I did have to explain why the other two didn't help--something that is never taught in Sunday School!  It made for a good discussion.  I recommend this series for parents/grandparents to read to small children or for beginning readers to read on their own. 

No comments:

While the City Sleeps (Women of Midtown)

  While the City Sleeps  (Women of Midtown)  February 13, 2024 by  Elizabeth Camden   (Author) Amid the hushed city, two hearts must navigat...