Friday, March 30, 2018

Beneath the Surface

Beneath the Surface
by Lynn H. Blackburn

Dive Team Investigations #1


Leigh Weston thought she’d left a troubled past behind when she moved back home to Carrington, North Carolina. But when dive team investigator Ryan Parker finds a body in the lake near her home, she fears the past hasn’t stayed where it belongs.

Beneath the Surface 

(Dive Team Investigations #1) 

ebook, hardcover, audio. Paperback 

March 6, 2018

by Lynn H. Blackburn


  • Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Revell 
  • ISBN-13: 978-0800729387



She thought she'd be safe when she moved back home. She was dead wrong.

After a harrowing experience with an obsessed patient, oncology nurse practitioner Leigh Weston needed a change. She thought she'd left her troubles behind when she moved home to Carrington, North Carolina, and took a job in the emergency department of the local hospital. But when someone tampers with her brakes, she fears the past has chased her into the present. She reaches out to her high school friend turned homicide investigator, Ryan Parker, for help.

Ryan finds satisfaction in his career, but his favorite way to use his skills is as a volunteer underwater investigator with the Carrington County Sheriff's Office dive team. When the body of a wealthy businessman is discovered in Lake Porter, the investigation uncovers a possible serial killer--one with a terrifying connection to Leigh Weston and deadly implications for them all.

Dive into the depths of fear with an exciting new voice in romantic suspense. Award-winning author Lynn H. Blackburn grabs readers by the throat and doesn't let go until the final heart-pounding page.

My thoughts:  BENEATH THE SURFACE is the first book in Ms. Blackburn's new series Dive Team Investigators. I am seriously looking forward to the rest of the books in the series as I have fallen madly in love with one of the secondary characters. 

Ryan is a dear. He has always loved Leigh but her brother has forbidden him to have anything to do with her -- except watch over her from a distance. But investigating a crime accidentally puts Leigh in danger in ways no one expects.

Leigh is a nurse practitioner, kind and considerate. She reminds me of one I know.  Very caring.  Everyone loves her. Well, mostly. And she knows everyone in town. Or at least it seems that way. So why is someone targeting her--with the intention of murder?

Okay, I had a couple guesses, since I know how these things usually work. I figured it had to be Suspect A.  Absolutely must be. Then Suspect B came into the limelight. Hmmm. But Suspect B was nice... back to Suspect A.  Then I remembered that the "bad guy" could be nice.   Back to Suspect B.  Oooh, I couldn't figure it out!  

Ms. Blackburn bucked the formula. That is all I've got to say.  And it did keep my attention because I had to find out "who-dun-it" and I didn't want to put the book down.  I read after church, reluctantly put it down to attend the evening service then picked it up when I got home. 

If you like romantic suspense,  you will love BENEATH THE SURFACE. 

I was given a copy free. All opinions are my own. 


2 comments:

Marilyn R. said...

Trying to figure out the suspect in a suspense is part of the joy in reading them along with the great story and characters to charm readers. Wonderful review for Beneath the Surface.

Dianna said...

Looking forward to reading this one! I have a copy for the takeover tour I'm participating in..... it sounds so good.

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...