Sunday, March 11, 2018

Out of the Ashes

(The Heart of Alaska Book #2) 

ebook, paperback, hardcover, audiobook

by Tracie Peterson (Author),‎ Kimberley Woodhouse (Author)


  • Paperback: 336 pages
  • Publisher: Bethany House Publishers; 383360 ed. edition 
  • (January 2, 2018)
  • ISBN-13: 978-0764219245


Can the Majesty of Alaska Foster Hope and Healing for Those Who Need it Most?

After the death of their father, Collette and Jean-Michel Langelier are no longer tied to post-war France. While his sister dreams of adventure, Jean-Michel is hoping to finally escape reminders of the horrors he faced in the war. When Jean-Michel receives an unexpected invitation for them to visit Alaska and the Curry Hotel, it seems an opportunity for a change he needs. 

Katherine Demarchis is a young widow who does not grieve the dangerous husband she was forced to marry. Now she just wants to retreat to a quiet life, content to be alone. First, though, she's agreed to accompany her grandmother on a final trip, but never expects to see a man from her past. 

Katherine and Jean-Michel once shared a deep love that was torn apart by forces beyond their control. Reunited now, have the years changed them too deeply to rediscover what they had? And when Jean-Michel's nightmares return with terrifying consequences, will faith be enough to heal what's been broken for so long?

My thoughts:  Tracie Peterson and Kimberly Woodhouse knows how to tell a good story, and OUT OF THE ASHES is a good story. I know when I pick up a book by this dynamic duo that it will be engaging and hold my interest until the end. 

I fell in love with Jean-Michel is the prologue and felt so bad for what he was experiencing. I imagine the man (if he were real) would truly suffer from PTSD. It was that bad. And while he may not remember at the time of the events, when he does it gets pretty frightening when people might not want what he knows made public knowledge. 

Katherine -- I felt bad for her too. I have not married an abusive man so I cannot imagine the terror she must've felt not knowing what would set him off. I hated that he isolated her from her family and friends, but I have known men who've done that and it really drives a wedge between them for years to come. Maybe permanently.  

I wanted these two to find happiness, and I really cheered for them.  I also loved the vivid descriptions of Alaska penned on the pages of this book. 

Bravo. 

I received a copy of this book free. All opinions are my own. 

1 comment:

Marilyn R. said...

A book with vivid descriptions of Alaska is a must tp read. I've wanted to visit there but haven't been able to, so reading about Alaska will do for now. : )

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...