Sunday, April 7, 2019

I'm Fine by B J Bassett


I’m Fine



Hurry up and help us; we’re at the end of our rope. Psalm 79:8 MSG


When my husband was first diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, friends and family said I needed to take care of myself. My response was, “As long as I can have lunch with friends and do my errands for about an hour or two a week, I’m fine.”

Two years later, I was no longer fine. I realized I should have asked for help much sooner. Friends had offered to stay with Ed so I could get away, but I didn’t accept their help.

I fell apart when Ed developed pneumonia and he needed me every second. His strength was sapped. The day our daughter Kathy came from out of town for a visit, I met her in our driveway and fell into her arms. I’d reached the end of my rope.

Like me, there are others who think they can do it all, especially super moms. Why is it so difficult for us to accept help? We need to realize it is just as gracious to accept a gift as it is to give one.

God has put others in our lives for a reason. We are His hands and feet when others are at the end of their rope.

 My Helper, this is such a hard lesson for me. I need You every minute to remind me that it’s okay to ask and receive help. Thank You for those who are Your hands and feet. Amen.



Author Bio:

B. J. Bassett encourages others as an author, teacher and speaker. Her books include a contemporary novel, Gillian’s Heart; a historical novel Lily; A Touch of Grace—The G.R.A.C.E. Ministries Story; and coauthor of a children’s devotional My Time with God, Focus on the Family, Heritage Builders, with over 55,000 copies sold.

As a contributing writer, publications consist of Writer’s Handbook 2000, The Writer, andThe Focus on the Family Guide to Growing a Healthy Home, Wolgemuth & Hyatt, Publishers, Inc.—consistently on Bookstore Journal’s Best-selling Christian Books List from November 1990 - February 1991, and voted the 10 Best Books for 1990 by Today’s Christian Woman.

Magazines, devotional booklets, curriculum and newspaper publishers include Focus on the FamilyWoman’s WorldThe Quiet HourPathways to GodDevotions, Harcourt Brace, WordAction, Gospel Publishing and Times Standard (newspaper).

She teaches writing workshops at Umpqua Community College, Roseburg, OR and at writer’s conferences. As a speaker for Stonecroft Ministries, she tells her story of rejection and acceptance, not only in life, but as a writer as well. She also offers book talks, including discussion questions and shares the journey—from the seed of an idea to a published book.

Memberships: ACFW and Oregon Christian Writers (OCW).

She enjoys reading, jigsaw puzzles, knitting, munching warm scones oozing with butter and strawberry jam and sipping earl grey tea.

A native Californian, she lives with her husband of 60 years in Roseburg, Oregon.

Contact Info:
B J Bassett



Twitter: B J Bassett@bassett106



Lily Book Blurb:

California, 1900—nestled in the foothills of the northern California coast, the town of Laurel Springs is home to high-spirited Lily Blair, the daughter of Rev. William Blair. Lily delights in being spoiled by her grandmother and father, and even though she lost her mother to childbirth, she glories in life itself and continuously pushes the bonds of propriety.

Having her every whim indulged as a child leads to a tough road as an adult. Lily falls in love with James Conti and wants to marry him, but James heads off to fight in the Great War, leaving Lily alone and heartbroken. When her father wants to send her off to boarding school, Lily makes yet another rash decision and marries a man she does not love.

In the ensuing years, Lily endures hardship and loss, a sharp detour from the pampered existence she once enjoyed. Yet as Lily struggles to cope with these unexpected changes, she discovers just how powerful God’s love and forgiveness can be. But will it be enough to get her through the darkest days yet to come?

Lily is an emotional story that celebrates the strength of the human spirit.


***















7 comments:

B. J. Bassett said...

Thanks for the opportunity to write a guest blog. You are one of my wonderful tribe. BJ

HeidiDruKortman said...

Good Blog, Bunny. Thanks for your honesty.

lollipops said...

hugs and prayers, Bunny. I've been there with my mom. It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.

Julie Arduini said...

I remember the caregivers hesitant to receive support when the Office for the Aging had a group just for them, but it was a lifeline. Caregivers need respite and encouragement. God bless you for loving your husband so completely.

Marilyn R. said...

Being a caregiver is not easy. Thankful God does provide others and we must learn to allow them to step in and be a blessings despite wanting to do it all.

Kathleen said...

Thank you for sharing from your heart, Bunny. Caregivers need care, too, as you have realized. So thankful you found the courage and grace to accept help.

Marie Bast said...

Being caregiver is not easy, BJ. It's hard work, and there are a lot of decisions to make on your own. You are a strong warrior. Thank you for sharing. My blessings and prayers are with you and Ed.

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...