Friday, May 3, 2019

Interview with Ruth O'Neil


Today we welcome Ruth O'Neil to my blog. Thanks for stopping by, Ruth. Tell us about the book:

I've been working on a series of devotional companions to classic literature. So far I have finished The Wizard of Oz, Little Women, Charlotte's Web, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and A Wrinkle in Time. The companions are not really about the classics at all, I just take one sentence from each chapter and expound on that from a spiritual perspective. So far the reviews have been good, and I'm making a list of what other classics I want to add to the series.

Why do you write the kind of books you do?

I have always prayed that the words I write would be God's words. I go through spurts with the genres. I have several devotional books, a couple of inspirational novels, and also a couple of children's books. I hope I'm always writing what God wants me to write at any given time.

What is your current work in progress?

My current WIP is an inspiration fiction novel tentatively entitled Lunch Ladies. (Part of my What a Difference a Year Makes series.) This is about a group of women who support each other in every way. I think this is much lacking in Christian circles and hope that when people read this book, they will be more aware of what other women go through on a daily basis, that we are all fighting some sort of battle and need the prayers of others lifting us up.

What three things about you would surprise readers?

Hmmmm…I don't have a lot of secrets. I homeschooled my children for 20 years from start to finish. This is probably a good one - I started dating my husband when I was 14 (not something I suggest for everyone!). Pepsi and sunshine are my weaknesses: if I can combine both of those with a good book, I am perfectly content.
 
What are your hobbies, besides writing and reading?

I love creating pretty much anything. I recently refinished my kitchen cabinets. I just purchased an old dresser that I want to turn into a doll house. I do a lot of sewing – that's my thinking time and break from writing, especially when I get stuck. I sew a lot of quilts that I then sell. I also enjoy hiking and camping with my family.

What is your most difficult writing obstacle, and how do you overcome it?

TIME! I thought that once my kids started school, I would just stay home and write. Then we decided to homeschool. I thought once the kids were grown and almost all out of the house, I would be able to just stay home and write. That hasn't happened either. I teach writing classes at a homeschool co-op a couple days a week, I babysit a couple other days a week, I'm on the staff at our church, and then there's the whole wife, mother, and house keeper-upper thing. (Why do I still have sooo much laundry??) To overcome I use whatever bits of time I have, even if they are small. I can write a lot in thirty minutes if that's all I have. I have one day a week where no one is at my house and I don't have to go anywhere. I try to have all housework and all other responsibilities completed before then so I can just concentrate on writing that day.


Share your bio:

Ruth O’Neil was born and raised in upstate New York and attended Houghton College. She has been a freelance writer/editor for more than twenty years. She has published hundreds of articles in dozens of publications as well as publishing a few books. She teaches Writer's Forums to help want-to-be authors break into print with either freelancing or book publishing.

Several years ago she began teaching writing classes at a local homeschool co-op where she now teaches young writers to develop their own freelancing career, write their own novel, or create their own picture book. Teaching the next generation of writers is probably the most fun she's ever had!


Social media and buying links




1 comment:

Marilyn R. said...

The devotional with a Biblical perspective to classic tale lines will be intriguing to read. Thank you for sharing.

Where Am I? God, Help Me! #Devotional by Becky Van Vleet

  “Ah, Lord  God ! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for...