Sunday, May 19, 2019

Walking on the Sea of Schedules by Barbara M. Britton



Recently a family member passed away. The memorial service caused a few kinks in my busy schedule. Maybe I’m too much of a planner. Or maybe it’s the busy season of life I find myself in. Or maybe it’s life in 21st century America. My mind raced with how I was going to travel to a different state from an event I had committed to, and how the rearranging of my schedule was tightening time. I sat on the sofa for a moment to glimpse my favorite TV show and there it was--a cramp in my stomach. Pain from anxiety of a crazy life.

That night as I lay in bed, I asked God to forgive me. Why? I had been trying to make everything “work” in my own strength and ingenuity. I hadn’t once stopped and prayed to God for help. He is the keeper of time. The Creator of this world. The Creator of me. I asked the Lord to help me prioritize my to-do list. To organize my steps and thoughts. You know what? God showed up and organized my days with twists and turns that made more sense than I could have imagined. Why wouldn’t He show up?

I Peter 5: 6-7 says, “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” (NIV)

I had allowed the world to crowd out God. My prayer life was fine for other people, for friends and family with health, sorrow, and travel needs. I had forgotten to pray about my “little things.”

The book of Matthew shows us Peter walking on water. The disciples had ventured out alone on a boat and Jesus came walking toward their vessel when it was still dark. When Peter recognized Jesus walking on the water, he said, “tell me to come to you on the water.” (Mtt. 14:28b) Jesus simply answered, “Come.”

The Lord was right in front of Peter, but when Peter noticed the wind, and probably the waves, although they aren’t mentioned, Peter began to sink. He cried out to Jesus to be saved. Matthew 14:31 tells us, “Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him (Peter). ‘You of little faith,’ he said, ‘why did you doubt?’” Likewise, when we take our eyes off Jesus and let the world’s worries begin to overwhelm us, we begin to sink. Maybe it’s not doubt, but it’s certainly anxiety over our busyness and trials.

Jesus cares about us. He always has, and he will for eternity.

The next time life seems too crazy or busy or overwhelming, take time to focus on Jesus and pray that he will keep you walking on the water—or on the pieces of your upside-down schedule.


Barb’s bio:


Adah bat Shallum is caught unaware of Nehemiah’s arrival in Jerusalem and needs some help organizing her upside-down schedule in “Jerusalem Rising.”






Book Blurb:

When Adah bat Shallum finds the governor of Judah weeping over the crumbling wall of Jerusalem, she learns the reason for Nehemiah’s unexpected visit—God has called him to rebuild the wall around the City of David.

 Nehemiah challenges the men of Jerusalem to labor on the wall and in return, the names of their fathers will be written in the annals for future generations to cherish. But Adah has one sister and no brothers. Should her father who rules a half-district of Jerusalem be forgotten forever?

Adah bravely vows to rebuild her city’s wall, though she soon discovers that Jerusalem not only has enemies outside of the city, but also within. Can Adah, her sister, and the men they love, honor God’s call? Or will their mission be crushed by the same rocks they hope to raise.

You can find out more about Barb and her books on her website www.barbarambritton, or on Facebook and Twitter.
Amazon link to “Jerusalem Rising.”





2 comments:

Marilyn R. said...

Barbara, thank you for sharing this encouraging word. So glad to know God is always there waiting for us to call out to Him with our busy schedules or whatever.

Barbara M. Britton said...

Thank you, Marilyn. When my horizontal life gets too busy, I have to remember to look up and focus on who numbers my days.
I appreciate you joining us.

Amelia's Hope (Plain Path Book 2)

  l Amelia's Hope  (Plain Path Book 2) by   Susan Lantz Simpson   (Author)   Young widow Amelia Stauffer loves her serene life caring fo...