Monday, December 28, 2020

Interview with Linda Hoover about her new book


 

 Today we welcome Linda Hoover to my blog. Thanks for stopping by, Linda. Share your blurb.

 

Here’s the tagline if you want to use it.

Julia wants to marry for love… But her father’s secret condemns her to a love-less marriage.

 


In 1880 Boston, Julia Phillips’s father betroths her to wealthy Lucien Harris to cover up a tragic secret. She has no interest in Lucien, but Jacob Anderson, a kind jewelry store clerk has captured her attention. Can she put off Lucien long enough to convince her parents to accept a man who isn’t in the upper-class?

 

Jacob works with his uncle in Boston, but plans to buy land for a farm in Iowa when he has enough money. When Julia walks into their store his priorities change. Their mutual attraction grows into love, and he wants to be the man she marries. But how can he with so little money?

Julia feels increasing pressure from Lucien to pretend she’s happy about the upcoming wedding. Then, she discovers the arranged marriage is based on blackmail. Her family will be ruined if she doesn’t comply.

Will God make a way for Jacob and Julia to have their heart’s desire?

 

 What is your favorite Christmas song?

I love Christmas music! There are so many songs I enjoy, but I’ll narrow it down to two. Mary Did You Know and Carol of the Bells.

 
What are you reading right now?

The Order of the Flaming Sword by Jeanine Hart-Hipshir

It’s a YA allegory. The Light represents God and Soot represents Satan. A group of teens and preteens are on a mission to help make sure evil doesn’t win. It kept me up late reading last night. 

 

 

What would be your dream vacation?

I’d like to tour England, Ireland, Germany, Italy and Greece.
 
 How do you choose your settings for each book?

I think about where the story would most likely take place. In my first book, Mountain Prophecy, a lot of the characters were superstitious, so it made sense for it to be set in an area where that’s known to be common., the Appalachians.

 

I knew I wanted my second book, Lighter Than Air, to be in England at a country estate, within a reasonable buggy ride from a city and in a fairly temperate climate. Maps, books and Google were a big help in finding just the right spot.

 

 For Heart’s Desire, I researched historic places and found 1880 Boston to be a big city with everything I needed. I could show the differences in social classes as well as it having an abundance of activities my characters could take part in. My family vacationed there in June 2019. I loved seeing the places where my characters lived and socialized.

Will we know what happens to your character after the end of the book?

Yes, I tie up loose ends for the most part. Heart’s Desire is the first book in the series, so you can expect to see more of the main characters in the next book.

  Where do you like to write? Can you share a picture?

This is my happy place. 😊


 

 

How do you handle distractions?

Distractions usually come in the form of family members coming into my office to sit and chat. I’ll talk for a few minutes then kindly tell them I need to get back to work. Maybe it would help if I didn’t have any chairs in here, other than mine. They might not want to stand around too long. 😊

 

 What’s on the horizon for you?  What will you be writing next? 

 

I have several projects. The first is a short story to give to readers who sign up for my newsletter. Before the middle of January, I’ll be working on book 2 of the Heart’s Desire series. I’d also like to have a Christmas book ready by October.

 

Share your bio and links.

 


Linda lives in west central Ohio with her husband, daughters, grandson, two cats and a dog. She earned a degree in psychology from Anderson University where she learned the voices in her head were actually characters from stories waiting to be told.

 

Linda recently retired from the county’s public library system. It was the perfect place to indulge her love of young adult and Christian fiction. It was also a good place to build a long “To Read” list. These days she enjoys being a fulltime author in her home office, despite interruptions from family members and pets. Linda is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers.

 

To learn more about Linda and the books she writes visit her website:

                                                                                           http://www.LindaHooverBooks.com

While you’re there, subscribe to her newsletter to keep informed about new books, author activities and giveaways.

Or stop by her Facebook author page: www.facebook.com/LindaHooverAuthor

 

 

Heart’s Desire is available in print and Kindle at Amazon.

 

Amazon.com/author/lindahoover

 

Other digital formats can be found at

Books2Read  https://www.books2read.com/u/mYAzqo

 

  


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love Linda, she is great!

Marilyn R. said...

I enjoyed getting to know Linda Hoover through this interview. Heart's Desire will be a find story to escape life.

Marie Bast said...

Read the story and loved it!

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...