Sunday, April 3, 2011

Interview with Sherry Kyle



Welcome, Sherry. It's good to have you with us today. I'm going to ask you a few questions so we can get to know more about you and your writing. Why do you write the kind of books you do?

All of the books I currently write (nonfiction books for tween girls and contemporary romance) have a spiritual thread, whether it’s about what the Bible says about what we should wear (The Christian Girl’s Guide to Style) or searching for the writer of an old love letter (Delivered with Love). My hope is for the reader to take away an insight about our Heavenly Father.

Besides when you came to know the Lord, what is the happiest day in your life?

Do I have to pick just one? God has given me many happy days, including when I married my college sweetheart, gave birth or adopted my children, and when I received ‘the call’ that one of my books was going to be contracted. I think the best days for me is when I spend time with family and friends.

How has being published changed your life?

The biggest way being published has changed my life is that I’ve met a big goal. It’s an accomplishment that not every writer is able to say they’ve achieved. I don’t say that to pat myself on the back. It’s more that I feel truly blessed that my work has been chosen.

What are you reading right now?

I just finished Crossing Oceans by Gina Holmes. Wow, what an amazing book!

What is your current work in progress?

I’m currently working on another nonfiction book for girls titled The Christian Girl’s Guide to Your New Room all about planning, organizing, and decorating a girl’s space, as well as another novel for Abingdon Press currently titled The Heart Stone set to release in the spring of 2013.

What would be your dream vacation?

Someplace tropical where I can lay on a beach towel, feel the sun on my face and listen to the waves crashing against the shore! Before my husband and I had children, we went to Tahiti for a couple of weeks. It was paradise. Now I’d be happy to go to Hawaii. Do you know of anyone with a vacation rental? 

How do you choose your settings for each book?

So far I’ve chosen only California towns since that’s where I live and it’s easier to do research. My current book is set in the small coastal town of Capitola, California.

If you could spend an evening with one person who is currently alive, who would it be and why?

My husband! We’ve been married for twenty-two years and have four kids—three teenagers and one tween. Our children are a lot of fun, but it’s really nice to have some time with each other.

What are your hobbies, besides writing and reading?

I recently joined Zumba at my church and love it! Other things I enjoy are walking along the beach, grabbing a cup of coffee with a friend, going to movies or jazz concerts with my husband, and hanging out with my family.

What is your most difficult writing obstacle, and how do you overcome it?

The phone. And the laundry. (Stop laughing, I’m being serious!) Some days I’ll do anything from sitting at the computer. Most days, however, I look forward to writing.

What advice would you give to a beginning author?

Writing takes a lot of hard work. Go to writers conferences. Join a critique group. Find a mentor. Overall, learn the craft. I think writers are so eager to get published that they forget to hone their skills first. And remember to enjoy the journey!


Tell us about the book.

Delivered with Love is the story of a young woman who finds an old love letter in the glove compartment of her late mother’s VW Bug. After being fired from her job as a waitress and kicked out of her sister’s home, she leaves her life in Los Angeles to go to Capitola, California where her dream of finding the writer of the letter sends her on a journey that changes her life forever.

You can view the book trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOVAZDpyYzQ


What do you want readers to take away from the book?

For the most part, I hope readers are satisfied when they turn the last page. I love happy endings—at least hopeful ones. (I also like to leave some minor plot threads hanging so that the reader can decide for themselves which way they’d like the story to go.)

Delivered with Love is a story of trust, family, forgiveness—and love. The verse that came to mind as I wrote this story was Provers 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.”


Sherry Kyle is a graduate of Biola University with a degree in Communications, and a minor in Bible. Her book for tween girls,The Christian Girl's Guide to Style - all about beauty, fashion, and character - released in September 2010 (Legacy Press). Her debut contemporary novel, Delivered with Love, will be released on April 1, 2011 (Abingdon Press). Sherry lives in California with her husband and four children, three biological and one by adoption. You can find her on the web at: www.sherrykyle.com

1 comment:

FunFaith4girls said...

Thank you so much for having me on your blog, Laura! I'd love to answer any questions your readers have, so please don't be shy! Ask away!

Hope you all have a fabulous day and remember life's a journey. Don't forget to enjoy the ride!

Sherry

The Mysterious Amish Bachelor: An Uplifting Inspirational Romance (Indiana Amish Market, 4)

  The Mysterious Amish Bachelor: An Uplifting Inspirational Romance  (Indiana Amish Market, 4) April 23, 2024 by  Vannetta Chapman   (Author...