Saturday, August 29, 2020

Hidden Realities by Kathleen Friesen

  

As we drove west across Alberta’s prairie, my husband and I eagerly anticipated that magical first sight of the Rocky Mountains. Flat lands became rolling hills, sparse bushes gave way to luxuriant evergreens, and we knew we’d reached the point where the majestic mountains should be obvious. But no matter how we strained our eyes, we couldn’t see them. A thick haze from distant fires obscured our view.

My husband joked that perhaps the mountains had decided to move. I responded that maybe we’d only imagined them every other time we’d travelled between Saskatchewan and British Columbia. The absurdity of our suggestions made us laugh, and as we continued west, before long we were surrounded by massive peaks. Right where they’d always been.

Even more permanent than mountains, God is with us. Everywhere. Always.

Psalm 139:7-8 reminds us, “Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

But many times fears, deep disappointments, and heartbreaks have come between me and my loving Father. I look but cannot see Him through the smog of life. I begin to wonder if He has moved, or perhaps my faith was unfounded.

When I gaze nearsightedly at the circumstances swirling around me, God seems hidden. But just as the smoky haze dissipated the closer we got to the mountains, my own murky doubts disappear when I grasp the truth of God’s presence.

Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23-24)


Bio:  Kathleen Friesen has always loved to lose herself in a good story, especially tales of love and faith that overcome. She admits that these days, she'll often get lost in her current work in progress, whatever it may be. Kathleen's stories invite the reader to risk faith, to dare to love, and to enjoy the results.


Kathleen and her husband recently moved back to Saskatchewan, Canada. They enjoy kayaking, traveling, and spending time with family and friends in Canada and the U.S.A. Spoiling their five grandchildren is a special joy!





5 comments:

B. J. Bassett said...

I love your writing and your message.

Kathleen said...

Thank you, Bunny! Your encouragement means a lot to me.

HeidiDruKortman said...

Lovely, Kathleen.

Marie Bast said...

Very inspirational, Kathleen!

Kathleen said...

Thank you, Heidi and Marie!Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...