Saturday, August 15, 2020

Interview with Marilyn Turk about her new book Abigail's Secrets

Today we welcome Marilyn Turk to my blog
Thanks for stopping by Marilyn!

Tell us about your book:

Abigail’s Secret is what I consider a split-time book, with a contemporary story and a historical story intertwined. The novel is about a young widow who has returned to her hometown to start her life over. She feels inadequate to be a single mother to her daughter and compares herself to her grandmother who was a lighthouse keeper and single mother. Abigail wonders where her grandmother got her strength. When a lighthouse enthusiast purchases the island and lighthouse where her grandmother was a keeper, he enlists Abby’s help to restore it. In the process, the two make discoveries that can change their lives.

 

When did you realize you wanted to be an author?

 

For many years, I read devotions and thought someday when I wasn’t so busy working fulltime and raising three sons, I’d write some. I hadn’t given any thought to writing books until I went to a writers’ conferences, about ten years ago. Around the dinner table, people were discussing their genre, and I didn’t even know what that word meant. At that point, I began to think about what book I might write. An idea formed, and when an editor (at another meal) asked us to tell her about our books, I told her my idea. The editor surprised me by asking for a proposal for that book, as well as, three more books for a series! That series became the Coastal Lights Legacy series. No wonder I’m such a huge fan of writers conferences!

 

Who are your favorite authors in your genre? Lynn Austin, Melanie Dobson, Ann Tatlock, Suzanne Woods Fisher, Kim Vogel Sawyer, Tamara Alexander, Julie Klassen, Kristin Hannah

 

Where did you get your inspiration for your characters? 

 

From my own life, from friends, from people I’ve read about and people I’ve observed. I like to study people and observe their characteristics.

 

Which character was your favorite to write?

 

I hate to play ‘favorites,’ because I don’t want to hurt any of my characters’ feelings. They’re each unique. However, I think the character who resonated with me was Abigail, the grandmother.

Which was the hardest character to write?

 

Maybe Carson, because he’s a guy and I’m not. However, with a husband, two older brothers, three sons and four grandsons, I should be an expert on men by now.

 

 

Share your bio and links for social media and to buy:

 

Marilyn Turk sees the world as the miraculous creation of God. She’s a writer who tries to capture His truths in everyday life through her historical novels and heartfelt devotions. Marilyn has a passion to encourage women to develop their God-given gifts and find their strengths, a message she delivers when she speaks to audiences.

Marilyn is the director of the Blue Lake Christian Writers Retreat, a member of Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, American Christian Fiction Association, Word Weavers International and the Faith, Hope and Love chapter of RWA.  She and her husband are avid lighthouse enthusiasts, having visited over 100, and her popular lighthouse blog features true lighthouse stories. In her spare time, you can find her boating and fishing with her husband, taking walks or playing tennis in her home state of Florida.

 

Connect with her on http://www.marilynturk.com and through social media.

https://www.facebook.com/marilyn.turk.9

https://twitter.com/MarilynTurk,

https://www.pinterest.com/bluewaterbayou/

 







No comments:

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...