Monday, June 13, 2016

Return to Christmas

Return to Christmas: A Novel 

Paperback, ebook 

October 5, 2015

by Kathi Macias

  • Paperback: 224 pages
  • Publisher: New Hope Publishers 
  • ISBN-13: 978-1596694422

Return to Christmas beautifully blends the two struggling worlds of a former marine and a little boy with attachment disorder. Former Marine Chet is having a hard time adjusting to civilian life. He doesn't need help. He needs employment. He doesn't have issues. The little boy his friends adopted has issues. But there is something about that little boy that draws him. Will the events leading up to this Christmas be able to melt his soldier heart or will he spiral into a dark depression?

My thoughts: I've read one of Ms. Macias's Christmas novellas and really loved it so I had high hopes for this one. I admit I don't know much about PTSD or attachment issues that adopted children have so I can't say whether or not the author got them right or not. What bothered me most about the story is that Chet was a major jerk and I couldn't believe how much garbage his wife put up with. I don't think I wouldn've been so calm, especially when Chet passed out drunk and left his three year old son to take care of himself for hours! And his wife didn't have anything to say about it - to him. 

There are two different stories in here, one of Chet and his issues and his wife and the other of another family with the little boy who had attachment issues. Ryan and Chet really didn't have much to do with each other throughout the book so the ending was rather surprising in that way. I loved the strong faith message.  I also loved how Chet's wife and Ryan's mother bonded. 

No comments:

Where Am I? God, Help Me! #Devotional by Becky Van Vleet

  “Ah, Lord  God ! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for...