Monday, May 15, 2017

Interview with Angela K Couch


Tell us about the book:

The Patriot and the Loyalist is the second book in my Hearts at War series, but can be read as a stand-alone. Here is the back cover:

Completing his three years in the Continental Army, Daniel Reid still has no desire to return home—not after losing the woman he loves to a British Captain—so he volunteers to ride south through enemy lines and deliver a message to Colonel Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox. With his temper needing a release and a dark haired beauty finding her way into his broken heart, Daniel decides to join the Swamp Fox’s efforts against the British. Little does he know the British still have the upper hand.
Lydia Reynolds has learned that love comes at a price, and she refuses to pay. Better to close her heart to everything and everyone. When her brother-in-law won’t grant her passage to England, where she hopes to hide from her pain, New Englander, Daniel Reid, becomes her only hope—if she can induce him to give her information about the notorious Swamp Fox and his troops. When the British grow impatient and Daniel evades her questions, Lydia must decide how far to take her charade. The poor man, already gutted by love, hasn’t grown as wise as she. Or so she supposes…
Until the truth is known, the muskets are loaded…and it is time to decide where true loyalties lie.


Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

My dad to blame. I remember him at his typewriter when I was a kid, writing his novels and articles. He had a few short stories published in a scouter magazine and such, but otherwise never had time to pursue finding a home for his work. I guess it was the same with his father. I remember the idea of writing a “book” setting itself up in my mind and never leaving. Before I could print, I would take handfuls of paper out to my playhouse and make squiggly lines across the pages until I had piles of “manuscript”.

What does your writing process look like?

I start with brainstorming. Usually a couple pages that sum up the whole story. Then I get started on chapter one and hammer out the first half of the book, getting to know the characters and flushing out the plot. At about the halfway point I pause and map out the rest of the story—all the main scenes that need to take place to reach that exciting and satisfying end.

My rough draft is rather slim and not too pretty. Nobody gets to see it! After a rewrite or two, I’ll finally send it to my critique partners. 

If you could cast your characters in the Hollywood adaptation of your book, who would play your characters?

For the Daniel, I would have to steal Zachary Levi and make him grow out those dark brown waves of his. Not so sure about the actress, because I haven’t seen many of her shows, but Alexandra Daddario would probably do an alright job.

Who was your favorite character in The Patriot and the Loyalist?

I love the hero and heroine, but I’m going to choose from one of the secondary characters. I had so much fun with Gabriel Marion, the Swamp Fox’s nephew. Gabe actually lived, and he fought in the Revolution despite his youth. He and Daniel hit it off really well and the banter between them always brings a chuckle.

What are you working on now? What is your next project?

Book three of this series, The Tory’s Daughter, is already off to my publisher, so I am working on book four, The Return of the King’s Ranger. This will be the last of my Hearts at War series, but not the least. I’m loving it!


Share your bio:
To keep from freezing in the Great White North, Angela K Couch cuddles under quilts with her laptop. Winning short story contests, being a semi-finalist in ACFW’s Genesis Contest, and a finalist in the International Digital Awards also helped warm her up. As a passionate believer in Christ, her faith permeates the stories she tells. Her martial arts training, experience with horses, and appreciation for good romance sneak in there, as well. When not writing, she stays fit (and warm) by chasing after three munchkins.



Social media and buying links


Buy links:


1 comment:

Angela K Couch said...

Thanks for hosting me! :)

Abundant Grace: 40 Days of Walking in the Goodness of God: A #Devotional #preorder

  Abundant Grace: 40 Days of Walking in the Goodness of God: A Devotional  April 2, 2024 by  Will Kassner   (Author),  Courtney Kassner   (A...