Thursday, May 18, 2017

What Hope Remembers - Johnnie Alexander

What Hope Remembers 

Misty Willow

Paperback, hardcover, ebook 

May 2, 2017

by Johnnie Alexander


  • Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Revell 
  • ISBN-13: 978-0800726423

When you need a new beginning, sometimes the best place to start is home

When Amy Somers leaves her job as a lobbyist, she moves to Misty Willow, well aware that she's crossing bridges she'd burned years before. With all the mistakes she's made and the things she's done, she can hardly believe that happiness will find her--especially when Gabe Kendall, her first crush and her first kiss, rides back into her life atop a buckskin mare.

A former Marine, Gabe is at loose ends after serving a prison sentence for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He sees beyond Amy's hard exterior to the girl he once knew and loved, and he longs to see her open her heart. Yet with his vision clouded by shame for his past and fears about the future, it's difficult to see the path ahead.

But the memory of that long-ago kiss just may have the power to reignite a romance that brings out the best in both of them.

Other Books in Series:   
When Love Arrives
Where She Belongs


My thoughts: WHAT HOPE REMEMBERS is the third book in Ms. Alexander's Misty Willow series, but it easily stands alone. I didn't not read either of the prior two books in the series (though I do have one of them in my two read pile that I hope to get to soon. 

A romance, there is a touch of mystery as someone is trying to shut the stables that Gabe's aunt owns down but it doesn't really read suspenseful until near the end. It is more of a romance, with two downtrodden adults struggling to make sense of all the bad that defines them (and they even sum it up in one word, though boatloads could be extracted from that word). They both go about their daily lives, attracted to each other, but lying about it to themselves and getting involved with others even though they don't "feel" it. 

I couldn't relate to the characters as well as I would've liked. There was something there, a quality in the writing maybe, that kept me as a reader distant and I couldn't find it in me to care one way or another. 

The horses and the child were a nice addition to the story.  I will go back and read the other book in the series that I have and we'll see if I feel different about the characters/story in that book.  

If you like contemporary romance, horses, and a tiny touch of suspense, or if you've read Johnnie Alexander's books before, then pick up a copy of WHAT HOPE REMEMBERS. "I was provided a free copy of this book. All opinions are my own." 

1 comment:

Marilyn R. said...

I have one of Johnnie Alexander's books in my TBR pile, too. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on her recent release, What Hope Remembers.

Abundant Grace: 40 Days of Walking in the Goodness of God: A #Devotional #preorder

  Abundant Grace: 40 Days of Walking in the Goodness of God: A Devotional  April 2, 2024 by  Will Kassner   (Author),  Courtney Kassner   (A...