Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Interview with Kathy McKinsey about Millie's Christmas




Today we welcome Kathy McKinsey to my blog. Thanks for stopping by, Kathy. Tell us about the book – a brief blurb:

Millie’s Christmas

Ruthie says Millie will love Christmas. Ruthie is Millie’s best friend, so she’s sure Ruthie’s right, but why does Millie keep finding Ruthie and her brother Jake crying?

Millie, an orange kitten, shares about her first Christmas. Her best friend Ruthie, six years old, teaches Millie about Christmas—food, decorations, music, presents, and Jesus!

Millie’s friend Bruce, the family dog, also helps her celebrate Christmas, and sometimes gets her in trouble.

When Ruthie’s big brother Jake breaks his ankle, Millie learns about sad things, like divorce, when Jake can’t visit his mommy for Christmas. Millie watches Ruthie’s family love each other through the sadness, and find joy in Christmas.


Are any experiences in Millie’s Christmas based on personal experiences? Did you draw upon any stories or movies for inspiration for the novel?

I normally write women’s fiction, so this was new for me. When my kids were little, however, I loved reading to them and telling them stories. I once wrote a story where the main characters were dogs, and my daughter Rebecca liked that. That probably helped encourage me to write this in a kitten’s POV.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in Millie’s Christmas?

Trying to get dog and cat facts accurate. For example, can cats see colors?

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I learned that I can write a children’s story. I enjoyed it a lot, and I may try my hand at it again. I also do believe this story can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

Did you have to travel much for research for Millie’s Christmas?

No, not at all.

(If a series) What was it like coming back to the [certain characters] for the [numeral] novel in the series? Do you foresee any more stories for this family of characters?

This is not a series. However, it might be fun to tell another story about this family. Maybe from the point of view of the dog.

Who was your favorite character in Millie’s Christmas?

That’s tough. Probably Millie, but I also had a lot of fun with Ruthie, the little girl.

Was there anything in Millie’s Christmas that you did not enjoy writing about?

No. It started out as just an exercise, to get me writing every day. I had no plan in mind to start out with. But God gave this story to me as a surprise gift. It’s one of my favorite of all my stories.

Share your bio and links for social media and to buy:

Kathy McKinsey grew up on a pig farm in Missouri, and although she’s lived in cities for nearly 40 years, she still considers herself a farm girl.

She’s been married to Murray for 32 years, and they have five adult children.

She’s had two careers before writing—stay-at-home-Mom and rehabilitation teacher for the blind.

She lives in Lakewood, Ohio with her husband and two of her children. Besides writing, she enjoys activities with her church, editing for other writers, braille transcribing, crocheting, knitting, and playing with the cat and dog.


https://www.kathymckinsey.com








No comments:

Just for the Summer: (A Fun Swapped Roles Contemporary Clean Romance Novel)

  Just for the Summer:  (A Fun Swapped Roles Contemporary Clean Romance Novel)  March 19, 2024 by  Melody Carlson   (Author) Ginny Masters m...