Monday, September 28, 2015

Huckleberry Hill

Huckleberry Hill 

The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill #1

Mass Market Paperback – ebook --audio, Audio CD, Paperback

January 7, 2014

by Jennifer Beckstrand

  • 352 pages
  • Publisher: Zebra
  • ISBN-13: 978-1420133561

"A delightful voice in Amish romance. Sweet and funny." --Emma Miller

With their thirteen children grown, Anna and Felty Helmuth are ready for their next adventure. That means trying their hands at matchmaking--because what could be more fun than igniting love when it's right--and undoing mismatches when they're wrong. Now Huckleberry Hill just might turn out to be the most romantic spot in Wisconsin. . .

Lia Shetler is resigned to being a spinster. She's too tall and sturdy to ever be marriageable--so says her overbearing dat. Instead, she's helping her pretty, spoiled sister Rachel secure the perfect husband--the Helmuths' grandson, Moses Zimmerman. But the more Lia sees of Moses' gently teasing ways and quiet understanding, the more she wishes he could be hers alone. . .

Moses knew his grandparents couldn't resist trying to find him a wife. But he never expected it would be the graceful, sensible Lia--a woman who is tall enough to look him in the eye, and honest enough to make him question a promise holding him to his past. Now both will need the kind of miracles only faith and courage can bring to finally reach for a lifetime of happiness. . .

"A delightful cast of characters in a story that overflows with Amish love and laughter." --Charlotte Hubbard, author of Autumn Winds

My thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Felta, Anna, Moses, and Lia. This was a charming story with irresistible 80-something year old matchmakers. I read this book series out of order, reading Huckleberry Spring first, and I was so charmed by it I went and put HUCKLEBERRY HILL and Huckleberry Christmas on my list of books to check out from www.paperbackswap.com. and I loved this one, HUCKLEBERRY HILL just as much as I did Huckleberry Spring. 

Ms. Beckstrand is a very creative writer, and I loved some of the humor she inserted as well as the crazy concoctions that Anna cooked. I didn't like Rachel at all, and don't understand why everyone seemed to think a delicate Amish woman was a good thing. She was as lazy as Lia was busy--and she was a conniving woman as well. 

I am definitely going to see if I can get my hands on the others in this series. They are HUCKLEBERRY HILL, Huckleberry Summer, Huckleberry Harvest, Huckleberry Christmas, and Huckleberry Spring. 

5 Stars

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Laura, thank you so much for your review. I am thrilled you've enjoyed my books so far. Anna definitely has some crazy culinary adventures. Have a blessed day!
Jennifer

Amelia's Hope (Plain Path Book 2)

  l Amelia's Hope  (Plain Path Book 2) by   Susan Lantz Simpson   (Author)   Young widow Amelia Stauffer loves her serene life caring fo...