Thursday, July 26, 2018

Research for Launch by Jason C. Joyner


Research

Authors make up so many things in their minds, but if they can go somewhere to research locations or situations that match up with their plot, it allows for more authenticity with their work. My book Launch and its sequels are set in the Bay Area in California. I have family there, so I spend time there every year or two. I've had the opportunity to visit the campuses for Facebook and Google, Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Fisherman's Wharf in addition to other areas in the region. These trips helped me make things realistic in how I portrayed locations, and it allows me to paint scenarios with greater detail. 

I even visited my brother-in-law's tech company. It was a great model for a similar location that I blow up in book two - but don't tell Steve, okay?

If you're a writer, what's your favorite place you've visited for research? Your favorite thing you've done as research? For readers, is there a book you've read that really shows off the research? 


Blurb: 
Sixteen-year-olds Demarcus Bartlett and Lily Beausoliel are among a select group of youth invited to an exclusive, all-expenses-paid conference at social media giant Alturas’ California headquarters. Led by charismatic founder Simon Mazor, the world’s youngest billionaire, this isn’t the typical honors society. It seems that everyone here has some secret, untapped potential, some power that may not be entirely of this world. An ancient prophecy suggests that if these teens combine their abilities, they could change the course of history. The only question is: Will it be for better or for worse?
Bio: 
Jason C. Joyner is a physician assistant, a writer, a Jesus-lover, and a Star Wars geek. He’s traveled from the jungles of Thailand to the cities of Australia and the Bavarian Alps of Germany. He lives in Idaho with his lovely wife, three boys, and daughter managing the chaos of sports and superheroes in his own home. Launch, a YA superhero novel, is the first book in the Rise of the Anointed series that releases in July. Get updates at www.jasoncjoyner.com, or follow him on FacebookTwitter, or Instagram.  
Links for purchase: 

1 comment:

Gretchen E.K. Engel said...

The first series I wrote explores the idea of healing waters from the well at Bethesda to "taking the cure" remedies of the 19th and 20th centuries. Hot Springs NP was my favorite place to visit and research. We went back after I completed my first drafts. I was in the clear that the floods wouldn't effect my timeline (it takes place in the early 1990s) and that I had a particular detail a bit wrong and rewrote it. Not sure how much of my research will make the cut if I dust off my series, but the research was fun. I might be *slightly* obsessed by hot springs.

Just for the Summer: (A Fun Swapped Roles Contemporary Clean Romance Novel)

  Just for the Summer:  (A Fun Swapped Roles Contemporary Clean Romance Novel)  March 19, 2024 by  Melody Carlson   (Author) Ginny Masters m...