Saturday, February 23, 2019

Interview with Sherry Kyle


Today we welcome Sherry Kyle to my blog. Good to have you stop by, Sherry. Tell us about the book – can you share the blurb?

Capture Me is about…

Two biological sisters. Two different families.
Will an old photograph prompt a reunion?

When Ashley Stevens discovers a box of photos that remind her of her difficult childhood with cancer, she wants to push that box aside while keeping her promise to her adoptive grandmother to create scrapbooks from the pictures in the trunk. A photo of herself as a young child sitting beside a smaller girl continues to haunt her. Who is she and why does the toddler’s face look so much like her own? Between her job at the animal shelter, waiting on a proposal from and her boyfriend of three years, and his troubled family, will Ashley ever discover who the girl is?

There’s nothing Kayla Witherspoon wants more than to quit medical school. After two grueling years, it is time she tell her parents the truth—that she desires to be a fashion designer, not a doctor like them. Adding to her fear of imperfection, a woman claims Kayla has a biological sister. She’s gotten along fine as an only child. Why would she need a sibling now?


Where do you get your inspiration for your books?

I get my inspiration from life experience, as well as from what I hear or see from the news or people around me. I typically start with an object that my characters discover and how it connects with their lives.

What's your key environment that helps you get to writing? Do you have a writer’s nook, corner, getaway? Where do you do your most productive writing?

A little over a year ago we hired a contractor to turn a second story balcony into an addition for my office. It’s six feet deep and eighteen feet long, complete with Dutch door and big front-facing windows. I had so much fun decorating, and it’s made a world of difference in my writing life. Now I have a beautiful place to write, and dream, and store my books, as well as those I’ve collected.


What are you saying in your book(s) that will encourage Christians today?

That it’s never too late to connect with the important people in your life—even if you just found out they existed. Families are complicated and forgiveness is the key.

How do you pick names for your characters?

I love figuring out the names of my characters. What I typically do is decide the age of my character and search the Internet for popular baby names during that time.

How important are reviews to you?

Reviews are super important to help readers decide if my book is a good fit for them. Authors know we can’t please everyone, but we do want to please our intended reader. So if a reader enjoys a book, write a review and tell others about it. As an author I learn a lot from reviews, and they encourage me to keep writing.

Who are some of your favorite authors? What genre is your favorite? What books have you enjoyed lately?

I have many favorite authors and typically read fast-paced novels because that is what I write. But in the last few years, I’ve also been enjoying listening to audiobooks while I walk in the afternoons. Recently, I’ve listened to Robin Lee Hatcher, Denise Hunter, Rachel Hauck, Francine Rivers, and Courtney Walsh to name a few.

Bio:

Sherry Kyle is a graduate of Biola University and the author of Delivered with Love, The Heart Stone, Watercolor Dreams, and Road to Harmony. Sherry also writes middle grade books and is a Gold Mom’s Choice Award winner for The Christian Girl’s Guide to Style, as well as a Cascade Award Winner for Love, Lexi: Letters to God. When Sherry isn’t writing, she enjoys walks along the ocean and decorating her beach home. She lives in California with her husband and four children. Visit www.sherrykyle.com for more information, or connect with Sherry on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.


Links – social media (see above) and to buy

You can purchase Capture Me here.






2 comments:

Sherry Kyle said...

Thank you, Laura, for having me on your blog today. I love comments and hearing from your readers. :)

Marilyn R. said...

Nice interview with Sherry Kyle. Capture Me sounds intriguing as to how the story will bring the two biological sisters together. Thank you for sharing.

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...