Sunday, April 28, 2024

The Wonder of God’s Hem and Hand By Sharon Musgrove #devotional

 

The Wonder of God’s Hem and Hand

By Sharon Musgrove

 

“You hem me in, behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.” Psalm 139:5 ESV

When clothes shopping at a local discount store, I found a darling skirt that fit my shape perfectly and blended into my current wardrobe seamlessly.  It was as if this piece of clothing was the missing item in a coordinating set, the fabric and pattern matching multiple tops and sweaters in my closet.  What a find!  Immediately, I put that skirt to use, wearing it whenever possible and feeling great about the purchase.

And then I washed the skirt.

As I pulled the garment out of the delicate cycle, I noticed the bottom edge hanging awkwardly in multiple places.  On further inspection, I could see that the fabric had been finished off with glue rather than being hemmed with thread.  This lack of quality construction suggested that this piece of clothing was not made to endure daily use.

My heart sank.  I knew that I needed to repair the skirt before I could wear it again or risk the fraying of the fabric.  I no longer viewed this piece of clothing as a great buy, but as something cheap and haphazardly slapped together to make a quick buck.  I doubted creator of the garment had any regard for reliability or for the reputation of the label.

I am so glad that our Creator did not carelessly patch people together with a single use mentality!  Imagine if we fell apart at the slightest challenge; tossed away at our first failure! 

Psalm 139 is a beautiful Bible passage that sings praises to the God that formed us.  Unlike the cut and paste clothing I had purchased; this scripture reveals how meticulous our Heavenly Father was in His creation of every person. 

“For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.  I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.” Psalm 139:13-14 ESV

You and I are God’s wonderful works.  We are hand made with great attention to detail.  Genesis 1:27 (ESV) states that “God created man in his own image.”  We are patterned after the King!

Additionally, Psalm 139:5a says of the Father, “You hem me in....” (ESV)

In assembling a garment, the cut edges require a “hem”, a finished edge that keeps the fabric from coming unraveled with use.  Typically, the cloth is folded over onto itself and sewn together completely through from back to front.  This construction protects the integrity of the apparel from daily wear and tear on its most vulnerable “cut” side.  In Psalm 139:5, this word hem is translated from the Hebrew word tsuwr which literally means “to confine, bind, or enclose.” 

There are times when God’s ways seem confining.  Occasionally, I wish I was free to let loose with a retaliatory word or return evil for evil.  But His word teaches that unloving behavior hurts me as it hurts others.  So, without keeping my raw edge in check, I would come undone.

But then the last phrase of this verse, referring again to the Father, brings so much comfort in rough times. 

“...and [You] lay your hand upon me.” Psalm 139:5b (ESV)

Have you ever had someone protectively lay their hand on you when you’ve been hurt?  It’s a move that says don’t worry, I’ll handle this.  God stepped in to repair the fabric of our relationships with Jesus, His son.  Christ’s death and resurrection was not a patch on the irreparable, but rather a reweaving of the threads themselves.  He makes us whole again.

I don’t have much sewing skill.  In fact, I thought I might purchase some fabric adhesive to rebind the hem of my skirt.  But then a friend suggested that I take my clothing to a tailor who is the one who can expertly mend the wrongs. 

Seeking help is the best answer.  Not just for a silly skirt, but for each tear that occurs in our hearts.  We need the One who put us together to keep us together.

Aren’t God’s works wonderful?!!!


Author Bio:

 


Sharon has been writing and teaching biblically based curriculum, Bible studies, and devotionals since 2007.    

 

She has had the unique position of writing curriculum and teaching for two private, Christ-based, residential recovery programs. Both programs primarily served women in the homeless community.

 

Sharon has traveled multiple times to Kenya, serving on medical teams and teaching in the rural Maasai communities. She’s been privileged to speak in Leadership camps intended on encouraging and empowering the impoverished, underprivileged, and often abused young women.

 

Within these ministries, Sharon has witnessed the transformative power of loving words spoken to the broken-hearted. Sharing God’s love and witnessing its transformative power has become her passion.

 

Sharon and her husband, divide their time between Oregon and Hawaii. They have two grown children. 

 

Currently, Sharon is encouraging others via her inspirational blog, but prefers sharing face to face. Additionally, she is working towards a degree in Ministry. 

 

~*~

Connect with Sharon:

Website: Sharonmusgrove.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Sharon-Musgrove-Untethered-102208978041060

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sharonmusgrove_untethered/

 

 

No comments:

Fatal Witness: (Romantic Suspense K-9 Thriller Cold Case)

  Fatal Witness:  (Romantic Suspense K-9 Thriller Cold Case)  February 6, 2024 by  Patricia Bradley   (Author) As a child, artist and potter...