Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Interview with Varina Denman



Today we welcome Varina Denman to my blog. Varina has written this amazing book that is a must read for all women.  Varina, thanks for being here. Tell us about the book: 

Looking Glass Lies is the story of Cecily Ross, a recently divorced woman who struggles with low self-image. She returns to her childhood home on the rim of Palo Duro Canyon looking to heal from her wounds, but coming home isn’t the miracle cure she was hoping for. With the help of a support group, she gradually overcomes her pain and learns to love herself again. Looking Glass Lies captures the war women wage against themselves, and the struggle to see beauty reflected in a mirror not distorted by society’s expectations.

Why do you write the kind of books you do? 

My primary purpose is to help other women through my writing. I pray that through reading my stories, women can heal a little from their own problems, and are better for having read my words.

What is your current work in progress? 

Right now I’m researching for my next novel that tells the story of a young woman who is grieving the death of her two-year-old daughter. Neither the book or the character have a name yet, but I know this woman will have to learn a lot about herself before she’s able to truly heal from her loss.

What three things about you would surprise readers?

1.      I have a bright red refrigerator (but it’s not hooked up in my kitchen) It’s an old non-working 1950s model that I use for decoration and storage, but I love the quaintness of the piece. I’m a sucker for antiques of any kind.

2.      I eat very little sugar. Because of some kind of twisted food sensitivity, sugar makes me intolerably cranky, so I avoid it to spare my family. When I splurge, I grab a bag of granola. Ugh.

3.      When I was young, I did NOT dream of being a writer. In school, writing assignments were a chore, and I preferred mathematics and computer science. It wasn’t until I was grown (around forty years old), that I began to consider writing as a viable option.

What are your hobbies, besides writing and reading? 

My family and I watch movies and old TV shows a lot. We’re currently working our way through Monk.

What is your most difficult writing obstacle, and how do you overcome it? 

Drafting is incredibly difficult for me. I absolutely love to outline, plot, and edit, but drafting almost kills me. Because of this, I’m easily distracted and often find myself stuck on social media when I’m supposed to be writing. To combat this problem, I unhook my internet to the entire house while I’m drafting. I give myself a time limit, then write as fast as I can so I can turn my Internet back on. This does not produce quality writing at all, but that’s all right because once the draft is finished, I can start editing … which I enjoy.

book trailer link https://youtu.be/L4K-bolCE2k

Share your bio: ''


Varina Denman writes stories about the unique struggles women face. Her award-winning Mended Hearts series, which revolves around church hurt, is a compelling blend of women’s fiction and inspirational romance. Her latest novel, Looking Glass Lies, released in May. A native Texan, Varina lives near Fort Worth with her husband and five mostly grown children. Connect with Varina on her website or one of the social media hangouts.



Social media and buying links
Amazon buying link: http://amzn.to/2qgELz6

Also, here’s the link for the Looking Glass Lies trailer



Laura, thank you so much for inviting me to your blog. I’ve enjoyed being here and sharing with your readers. 

1 comment:

Marilyn R. said...

Nice interview with Varina Denman. I've read so many nice reviews for Looking Glass Lies I must read this book. Thank you for sharing. God bless

Just for the Summer: (A Fun Swapped Roles Contemporary Clean Romance Novel)

  Just for the Summer:  (A Fun Swapped Roles Contemporary Clean Romance Novel)  March 19, 2024 by  Melody Carlson   (Author) Ginny Masters m...