Monday, March 12, 2018

The Amish Christmas Sleigh

 Paperback, ebook, mass market 

September 29, 2015

by Kelly Long (Author),‎ Amy Lillard (Author),‎ Molly Jebber (Author)

  • Paperback: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Kensington 
  • ISBN-13: 978-1496700131

Through the snowy night, silver bells ring cheerfully, heralding a season of secret gifts, unexpected chances, and love's sweetest journeys . . . 
 
A SLEIGH RIDE ON ICE MOUNTAIN by Kelly Long 
For solitary toy-maker Sebastian Christner, hiring Kate Zook as his new housekeeper is simply the right thing to do. Now she can support her special-needs brother. But one taste of her independent spirit is showing him undreamed-of holiday joy—and making him long to give her a home for always . . .  

My thoughts: A SLEIGHT RIDE ON ICE MOUNTAIN is a cute well-written story. Ms. Long does get a lot more graphic than I am used to or comfortable with in Christian romance, but there is a good faith message and I loved the illusion to Santa even though she doesn't exactly come out and say it.   I don't think I've ever seen a story about an Amish toy-maker before, yet it is a viable Amish career as I've seen them in Amish communities.  
 
A MAMM FOR CHRISTMAS by Amy Lillard
Bernice Yoder has far too much to do to entertain holiday dreams. Even if she can help Jess Schmucker outwit his three mischievous young daughters, it's impossible to imagine the handsome widower can see her as anything but a scolding schoolteacher. He never guesses how a magical Christmas Eve will open his eyes to love or how Der Herr will awaken their faith and hope. 

My thoughts:  A MAMM FOR CHRISTMAS is, I think, the first Amish book I've read by Amy Lillard although I have read and enjoyed some of her historical novellas. This was a very sweet read, slow, but engaging. I couldn't help but fall in love with Bernice and poor Jess was so confused and lost. His little girls were a delight. A good read. 
 
AN UNEXPECTED CHRISTMAS BLESSING by Molly Jebber
As much as Charity Lantz's children need a father, the young widow isn’t sure her new neighbor Luke Fisher can ever be the right choice. They’re having more disagreements than snowflakes in December. Besides, he's never given a sign he wants to be more than friends. Can Gott show them a way past their misunderstandings to a forever love?

My thoughts: AN UNEXPECTED CHRISTMAS BLESSING was a sweet story. I think this is the first one I read with a divorced hero.  It rather surprised me, knowing the Amish views about marriage. But she made it realistic.  I felt sorry for the little boy suffering an injury early on in the book. The characters weren't really well developed, but it was an interesting story.  

A friend, not any of the authors nor the publisher, gave me a copy of her book. I was not required to leave a review. 

1 comment:

Marilyn R. said...

I need to reread the tales in The Amish Christmas Sleigh. Thank you for your review.

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...