Thursday, March 29, 2018

The Promise

 

hardcover, ebook, Mass Market Paperback 

March 27, 2018

by Susan Lantz Simpson

  • Mass Market Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Zebra 
  • ISBN-13: 978-1420146608

In the beautiful spring warmth of Southern Maryland’s Amish country, love always finds a way to bloom . . .
 
Like most Amish young women, Phoebe Yoder has dreams—but not of a courtship—at least not yet. She dreams of caring for the tender-hearted alpacas at her Englischer neighbor’s farm, and learning the business herself. But that longing falls away the moment her baby sister goes missing. In that horrifying instant, desperate for her sister’s safe return, she whispers a promise to Gott: she will give up her dreams and marry Micah Graber, a man she doesn’t love, but who is determined to make her his wife.
 
Benjamin Miller hasn’t been back in Southern Maryland for long before he meets Phoebe and begins to imagine what a fine life they could build together—beginning with an alpaca farm of their own. But he can see that Phoebe’s brash vow is all she will consider, no matter what her heart wants. As Ben falls for her gentle manner and sweet, sad eyes, he comes to understand his daunting task: to convince Phoebe that together, they can make a new promise that will never be broken . 

My thoughts: THE PROMISE is Ms. Simpson's newest Amish book and it is already getting a lot of buzz. In fact, I've had people ask if I was going to review it.  Well, if you were one who wondered, here it is. 

Benjamin Miller is a dream. He is sweet, sensitive, caring, and knows what to do and say in stressful situations. He has a head on his shoulders.  He's also got a strong faith and he doesn't allow doubt to take root. 

Phoebe... oh, I hurt for her family. I can't imagine being responsible for watching your baby sister and having her snatched while in your care.  She and her family were depressed - understandably - and for the first half of the book that is pretty much the focus.

I have never heard of alpacas so I was kind of curious what they were. Maybe kind of like Llamas?  I don't know. They were described as like camels in the book, but the cover looks like llamas.  I saw have to   research them sometime.  They were an unusual and interesting twist to an Amish romance story.  I enjoyed this. 

Micah was a villain that was easy to hate. I didn't like him at all. Unfortunately I know men like him: overbearing know-it-alls who are selfish jerks. I think we all do. Very realistic. 

If you like Amish fiction, pick up a copy of Ms. Simpson's THE PROMISE. You will love this book. Especially Benjamin (swoon). 

I was given a copy free. All opinions are my own. 

1 comment:

Marilyn R. said...

Lovely review for The Promise. I'm looking forward to reading this story. The cover is appealing, too.

A joyous Easter to you and yours, Laura.

An Interview with Jonathan Gibson, Author of My First ABC Book of Bible Verses

  An Interview with Jonathan Gibson, Author of  My First ABC Book of Bible Verses   It’s never too early to start sharing the big truths of ...