Sunday, August 23, 2020

Touching the Robe of Jesus by B J Bassett

 

 

In the crowd that day there was a woman who for twelve years had been afflicted with hemorrhages. She had spent every penny she had on doctors but not one had been able to help her. She slipped in from behind and touched the edge of Jesus’ robe. At that very moment her hemorrhaging stopped. Luke 8:43-44

 

My children loved their blankets like Linus in the comic strip Peanuts, created by cartoonist Charles Schulz.

 

One day, while cleaning the house for company, my children’s blankets were everywhere. They were on the floor, sofa,—wherever they’d left them. I wanted my home to look perfect. Well, as perfect as I possibly could make it. So I asked my children to take their blankets upstairs to their bedrooms, or I’ll throw them in the trash. 

 

My impish daughter, Kathy, spoke up, “I don’t care.”

 

I was surprised by her response. Because she was an active little girl who, by the end of the day, loved to cuddle up with her blanket and thumb, it was soothing and comforting for her. Of my four children, Kathy loved her blanket more than her siblings did theirs.

 

I was the kind of parent who followed through with what I said. Yet, how could I throw her beloved blanket in the trash? I knew at bedtime, she’d feel differently, so I hid her blanket instead of throwing it away. I also didn’t want to be up all night with a grieving child.

 

How often do we seek comfort or healing, especially at the end of a busy day?

 

All we need to do is reach out and touch our Father’s robe.

 

Father, thank you for your healing touch, like a favorite blanket. Amen.



 

B. J. Bassett encourages others as an author, teacher and speaker. Her books include a contemporary novel, Gillian’s Heart; a historical novel Lily; Sweet Charity; A Touch of Grace—The G.R.A.C.E. Ministries Story; and coauthor of a children’s devotional My Time with God, Focus on the Family, Heritage Builders, with over 55,000 copies sold.

 

As a contributing writer, publications consist of Writer’s Handbook 2000, The Writer, and The Focus on the Family Guide to Growing a Healthy Home, Wolgemuth& Hyatt, Publishers, Inc.—consistently on Bookstore Journal’s Best-selling Christian Books List from November 1990 - February 1991, and voted the 10 Best Books for 1990 by Today’s Christian Woman.

 

Magazines, devotional booklets, curriculum and newspaper publishers include Focus on the Family, Woman’s World, The Quiet Hour, Pathways to God, Devotions, Harcourt Brace, WordAction, Gospel Publishing and Times Standard (newspaper).

 

She teaches writing workshops at Umpqua Community College, Roseburg, OR and at writer’s conferences. As a speaker for Stonecroft Ministries, she tells her story of rejection and acceptance, not only in life, but as a writer as well. She also offers book talks, including discussion questions and shares the journey -- from the seed of an idea to a published book.

 

Memberships: ACFW and Oregon Christian Writers (OCW).

 

She enjoys reading, jigsaw puzzles, knitting, munching warm scones oozing with butter and strawberry jam and sipping earl grey tea.

 

 




3 comments:

B. J. Bassett said...

Thanks again, Laura, for blessing me.

HeidiDruKortman said...

Good devotional, Bunny.

Julie Arduini said...

Great visual, BJ!

While the City Sleeps (Women of Midtown)

  While the City Sleeps  (Women of Midtown)  February 13, 2024 by  Elizabeth Camden   (Author) Amid the hushed city, two hearts must navigat...