Sunday, October 25, 2020

Grab the Baton—Run the Race by B J Bassett

 

Since we have such a huge crowd of men of faith watching us from the grandstands, let us strip off anything that slows us down or holds us back, and especially those sins that wrap themselves so tightly around our feet and trip us up; and let us run with patience the particular race that God has set before us. Hebrews 12:1

            Have you ever been in a relay race?

            Although I don’t consider myself an athlete, others have passed the baton to me, and I must run the race. But I need to start at the beginning of my race with the people who influenced me.

            First is my baby brother, Danny. Although he was eight years younger than me, we always shared a close relationship. He discovered writing while attending high school. Later, when he died while serving in the Army in Viet Nam, I felt like he passed the baton to me, and I picked up my pen, writing to encourage others.

            Karen was another person who influenced my life. I met her in junior high school when I was the new kid, and she befriended me. She was popular, athletic, and smart. Karen wore an I Like Ike button before I even knew who Ike was. She died too young from cancer. I believe she passed me the baton to befriend others as she did me.

            Lastly is my friend, Ruth, who passed away recently. Ruth was a mighty prayer warrior. I feel that she has also passed me the baton.

            I’ve been left a responsibility by those who influenced my life. I only pray I grasp the baton and run the race before me.

            There is a huge need for prayer warriors. Has someone passed on the baton to you? Will you grab it and run the race?

Father, thank You for those You’ve put in my life that influenced me. I pray I’m worthy to grab the baton and run the race You’ve set before me. Amen.

 

 

B. J. Bassett encourages others as an author, teacher and speaker. Her books include a contemporary novel, Gillian’s Heart; a historical novel Lily; Sweet Charity; A Touch of Grace—The G.R.A.C.E. Ministries Story; and coauthor of a children’s devotional My Time with God, Focus on the Family, Heritage Builders, with over 55,000 copies sold.

 

As a contributing writer, publications consist of Writer’s Handbook 2000, The Writer, and The Focus on the Family Guide to Growing a Healthy Home, Wolgemuth& Hyatt, Publishers, Inc.—consistently on Bookstore Journal’s Best-selling Christian Books List from November 1990 - February 1991, and voted the 10 Best Books for 1990 by Today’s Christian Woman.

 

Magazines, devotional booklets, curriculum and newspaper publishers include Focus on the Family, Woman’s World, The Quiet Hour, Pathways to God, Devotions, Harcourt Brace, WordAction, Gospel Publishing and Times Standard (newspaper).

 


She teaches writing workshops at Umpqua Community College, Roseburg, OR and at writer’s conferences. As a speaker for Stonecroft Ministries, she tells her story of rejection and acceptance, not only in life, but as a writer as well. She also offers book talks, including discussion questions and shares the journey -- from the seed of an idea to a published book.

 

Memberships: ACFW and Oregon Christian Writers (OCW).

 

She enjoys reading, jigsaw puzzles, knitting, munching warm scones oozing with butter and strawberry jam and sipping earl grey tea.





4 comments:

HeidiDruKortman said...

Good one, bunny

B. J. Bassett said...

Thank you, Laura.

My prayers are with you and your family every day.

Kathleen said...

This is lovely, Bunny. Thank you for sharing how others passed batons of gifts and responsibilities. I need to consider how I can honor those before me and gifts those coming after.

Marilyn R. said...

Beautiful, Bunny. You have a legacy of those who passed the baton on to you.

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...