Friday, December 4, 2020

Interview with B. J. Bassett about her new book

 




Today we welcome B. J. Bassett to my blog. Thank you for stopping by, B. J. Tell us about the book:

 

During a break from writing novels, I felt a call from God to write a devotional book.

 


In The King’s Daughters—A Women’s Devotional, I share my personal experiences as a daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandmother, and friend. I welcome readers into my home, offer them a cup of tea, a comfy chair, and guide them through my spiritual journey.

I convey not only my walk with my personal Savior, but stories of other Jesus followers—Corrie ten Boom, Franklin Graham, Susanna Wesley, Franklin Roosevelt, and others.

The reader will discover a closer walk with God through the meditations, Scriptures, and prayers in The King’s Daughters—A Women’s Devotional.

Do you read your reviews? Do you respond to them, good or bad? Do you have any advice on how to deal with the bad?

I was told once by a writer and literary agent never to read my reviews. I'm afraid I have to disagree.

Writing is an alone business, and I’ve always done better with encouragement. It makes me want to do even better. Therefore, I do read my reviews. Of course, I like the positive ones. The reviews that are not positive could discourage me, but I’ve been in the business for a long time, developed a thick skin, and know not everyone will like my writing.

If a bad review discouraged someone from moving forward, I would encourage them not to read their reviews.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

I was blessed to have Jane Peart as my mentor. She passed away a few years ago. Jane was a Southerner and wrote wonderful historical and contemporary novels like her series Brides of Montclair and The Orphan Train Trilogy.

What book are you reading now?

Alex Trebek—The Answer is . . . Reflections of My Life

What books have most influenced your life most?

Too many to count.

Of course, the Bible. And my favorite devotionals are My Utmost for His Highest and Streams in the Desert. Eugenia Price and Catherine Marshall were my favorite authors for many years. More recent books include Called to Create by Jordan Raynor and anything by Ann Voskamp.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

I tend to read secular authors like Robyn Carr, Susan Wiggs, Debbie Macomber, Elin Hilderbrand, and Nicholas Sparks. I believe their books go more in-depth into real-life conflicts that Christian authors do not, and the writing is better. (I skip the sex scenes.)

If you didn’t like writing books, what would you do for a living?

Being eighty, I’ve done everything I dreamed of doing. My dream was to be a wife and a mother. I was married for sixty years, the mother of four children, and a grandmother. My husband and I owned a mom and pop grocery in the Redwoods of California. I was a bookkeeper, Children’s Ministry Director, and today I continue to teach writing classes at the community college and travel as a speaker. My goal was to have three novels published by the time I was eighty. I did it all because, with God, all things are possible.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

I’ve very excited about the current novel I’m writing, Girl with a Heart of Gold. It’s the story from the viewpoint of a birth-mother, the adoptive mother, and the adopted child.

My fifty-seven-year-old daughter was adopted at birth and recently found her birth family. My daughter said, “Mom, you know if my birth mother ever needed a place to live, I’d take her in.” Yes, I did know that. My daughter has a heart of gold. That’s when I decided to write a novel about the triangle of adoption.

What book do you wish you could have written?

Probably Margaret’s Story by Eugenia Price. I read it at least three times, and I use it as an example in my writing classes.

***

Bio and Book Orders:

 


B. J. Bassett encourages others as an author, teacher, and speaker.

 

Her books include Lily, Gillian’s Heart; Sweet Charity; and co-author of a children’s devotional, My Time with God, which sold 55,000 copies while in print. 

 

She teaches writing workshops at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon. As a speaker for Stonecroft Ministries, she tells her story of rejection and acceptance, not only in life but also as a writer. She also offers book talks.

 

She enjoys reading, jigsaw puzzles, knitting, munching warm scones oozing with butter and strawberry jam, and sipping earl grey tea. A native Californian, she now lives in Roseburg, Oregon.

 

Her books are available on Amazon. Or: e-mail or PM her on Facebook with your info and she’ll ship a signed copy to you.

 

B. J. Bassett

106 Matthew Lee Court

Roseburg, OR 97471

bassett106@charter.net

www.bjbassett.com

bjbassett.wordpress.com

facebook.com/bunny.bassett

B J Bassett@bassett106

 

 

 

 

 




4 comments:

Linda Hoover said...

The devotions in B.J.'s book are encouraging and reassuring. I recommend it.

Marie Bast said...

A love your devotional and your advice here is spot on. Thanks for sharing, Bunny.

Julie Arduini said...

I love author interviews. I learned a lot! I loved Jane Peart's work.

B. J. Bassett said...

Thanks, Laura, once again you've blessed me.

One Wrong Move (Jeopardy Falls)

  One Wrong Move  (Jeopardy Falls)  February 6, 2024 by  Dani Dani Pettrey   (Author) Taunting riddles. A deadly string of heists. Two broke...