Sunday, June 6, 2021

Matthias by Heidi Dru Kortman

 

Matthias

Acts 1 and 2

 

 

I saw Jesus ascend to heaven four days ago. Since his resurrection, we believers have been meeting with him every day, alternating between the temple courts, and this upper room, where the Christ last shared a Passover meal with us. He taught us about the Kingdom of God until his final minute on earth. The room is packed, and 120 of us make the space warm, but no one dozes. Peter has lifted his hands for our attention, and we all want to hear him.

“Scripture had to be fulfilled,” Peter says. “Judas, who was one of our number and shared in this ministry, is dead. All Jerusalem has heard about this, and therefore another prophecy must be fulfilled. ‘May another take his place of leadership.’ ” Peter pauses. “Choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.”

Whispers fill the room. People exchange glances, shrug, and shake their heads. Not many present fill those qualifications. I do, and I hope that one of the others might be chosen, since I have no idea how I’ll ever be able to witness to the ends of the earth. I have trouble making myself understood here in Jerusalem. How will I learn foreign languages?

Joseph Barsabbas Justus moves to the front, near Peter, and I relax. He’s much more confident than I, and would fill Judas’s place well. Peter beckons to me, and after a moment, I join them.

Peter leads the assembly in prayer. We ask Jesus to tell us His choice of a replacement for Judas. When Peter finishes, servants bring in lots. Each man draws and casts his lot, and when the numbers are counted, the appointment is mine! Peter lays a hand on my head.

“Matthias,” he says, “the Lord Jesus has made his choice clear. You are to take up the work Judas once did.” 

I draw a tense breath and nod. Keeping monetary accounts for the believers is simple, compared to being a witness. Jesus chose me. But I still don’t feel ready.

In the last six days, I’ve learned that the other disciples aren’t all confident, either. Peter seems subdued, and spends much time in study of the lesser prophets’ scrolls. The fear I knew after our Lord’s crucifixion no longer disturbs me, but I’m on edge, anticipating the gift of power Jesus promised. Will it come today?

At one moment I’m talking to Matthew Levi, and in the next I cannot hear him even if he shouts, because the room is filled with a wind-like roar. None of my clothes blow, and I don’t feel breeze in my beard. The flame at the wick of each lamp burns steadily.

When the room grows brighter, I look for the reason. There’s a large flame above our heads, but it burns no wood. It’s like the burning in the bush Moses saw. As I stare, it separates into small flames that hover above each person.

In that instant I know I’m prepared to work with the disciples. I realize what I’ll say to the Cappadocian Jew who has been staying at the inn near my home. He’ll be overjoyed to learn that God has provided Jesus, and he’ll never need another Passover lamb.

I tug on Matthew Levi’s sleeve, to tell him, and my words are in Cappadocian. He grins and answers me in Pamphylian, but we understand one another. The wind-sound is replaced by one hundred twenty voices, praising our God and Savior in every language spoken by believers in the God of Abraham.

Peter climbs the stairs to the roof. The other disciples and I follow. Thousands crowd the street before the house. Peter raises his voice. “Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was accredited to you by miracles, wonders and signs…You put him to death by nailing him to the cross. But God raised him from the dead.”

Someone below screams “what shall we do,” and Peter pleads with him to repent. It’s not the Cappadocian I know, but I’ll tell him when we meet.

 


 

 

Heidi

 


Heidi Dru Kortman DTM

God's gifts and call are irrevocable.

heididrukortman.com.

 

Heidi Dru Kortman, a CWG Apprentice graduate, ACFW member since 2004, and Word Weaver member has published devotionals in various newsletters, and a collected volume of devotionals. Her poetry, flash fiction, and short stories have appeared in small magazines, and a website. She is applying herself to the task of writing smoothly polished fiction.

 





2 comments:

HeidiDruKortman said...

Thanks again for allowing me a slot on your blog, Laura.

Marie Bast said...

Amen. A very inspiring piece, thanks for sharing, Heidi.

One Wrong Move (Jeopardy Falls)

  One Wrong Move  (Jeopardy Falls)  February 6, 2024 by  Dani Dani Pettrey   (Author) Taunting riddles. A deadly string of heists. Two broke...