Sunday, December 19, 2021

Go Home! By Jenna V Hilton


While on a walk, I saw what looked like an Australian shepherd border collie mix. He had a collar, but no leash and he was alone. He was happily trotting down the road, tongue hanging out, then he saw me. And he started slowly tiptoeing past with his head bowed, like I couldn't see him if he moved at a glacier pace.


I know how it feels to lose a dog, even temporarily. So I told him, "go home." And he stopped, and stared at me, then slowly turned around and went the right direction, then he did a u turn around a house and ran into me again. He was a strange dog, so I didn't want to get too close, but I didn't let him see my apprehension. I kept telling him to go home, very firmly. And he'd start to walk that way, then he turn around and give me a piece of his mind.

The dog's still out there, and I'm praying he makes it home, but my walk was cut short by the story of the prodigal son.

How many times did that boy waffle between, "I wanna go home" and, "I can't go home"? He was so ashamed of himself, he was sure he could never be forgiven. But he was. He was welcomed home with open arms and a party! There might be people out there who accepted Christ as their Savior, and meant it with all their heart, but never grew, never stopped what they were doing, and over time they became self aware, and disgusted at themselves, and feel they are too far gone, that they've lost their salvation. But that's not possible. A child of God is always a child of God. That title can't be taken away. Repentance is needed, but God will always forgive his children.

Dear God, thank you for being patient and forgiving. Help us to remember that you will always love us. In Jesus name, amen



Jenna V. Hilton is nineteen, and lives in Arkansas with her parents, two sisters, a brother, and dog. She is planning to attend college to become a veterinarian. TikTok handle: imperfectchildofGod19

Enter

1 comment:

Marilyn R. said...

Beautiful devotional, Jenna!

Just for the Summer: (A Fun Swapped Roles Contemporary Clean Romance Novel)

  Just for the Summer:  (A Fun Swapped Roles Contemporary Clean Romance Novel)  March 19, 2024 by  Melody Carlson   (Author) Ginny Masters m...