Sunday, February 12, 2023

God Breaks Even the Biggest Waves by Sharon Musgrove #Devotional

 The beach is a place where God meets me. On many occasions, facing the expansive deep

waters, I’ve gained insight into His love, or have sensed His answers to the challenges I face.

On a recent morning, I felt lead down a specific path toward the surf. Walking nearer, I found

myself uncomfortably close to the waves pounding the rocky shoreline. At the trail’s end was a

flat stone in a small clearing. This seemed the perfect spot for sitting and being with the Lord,

except for the threatening breakers, booming within a short distance.


My fears arose with every large wave. My heart cried out, Father, they’re so big! So powerful!

I’m afraid of being pummeled into the rocks and dragged out into the vast unknown!


Even as these words crossed my mind, I knew this anxiousness was not simply about my

proximity to the ocean. My worries were for other overwhelming hurdles in my life. The tasks

in front of me that also appeared massive. They scared me.


But God had led me on this seaside footpath, of that, I was sure. And to be honest, I was just as

certain of His guidance on the route my life was taking. So, I stayed put, trusting that I would

gain understanding if I was patient enough.


As I sat, watching wave after aggressive wave, I noticed a pattern…a predictability in the tide. I

saw that each mighty swell, no matter how grand, broke. Invisible to me, the shoreline below

was creating friction with the water, slowing its speed, and causing it to topple on itself.

Breaking in smaller and smaller fragments, the sea was quieted before me.


Not one of those roaring monsters had come very close. And each eventually lapped lowly

before me.


How many times had I backed down from God’s leading in career or relationships, fearful that

the risk was too great? That I would be pummeled in the process?


The words from the Prophet Isaiah came to mind as gently and lovingly as a warm bath:


“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;

and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.

When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned;


the flames will not set you ablaze.”

Isaiah 43:2 NIV


God nudged me toward the Pacific’s shore to remind me of His care for me. Like the breaking

of the waves, His works are very often hidden from my eyes. But that does not mean He is not

actively breaking down the barriers between where I am and where He wants me to go.


What are the big waves that loom in front of you? What are the worries that tempt you to turn

back to the safe places? God is encouraging us today that He is, and always has been, for us.

Trust Him. God breaks even the biggest waves.




Author Bio:

 


Sharon has been writing and teaching biblically based curriculum, Bible studies, and devotionals since 2007.    

 

She has had the unique position of writing curriculum and teaching for two private, Christ-based, residential recovery programs. Both programs primarily served women in the homeless community.

 

Sharon has traveled multiple times to Kenya, serving on medical teams and teaching in the rural Maasai communities. She’s been privileged to speak in Leadership camps intended on encouraging and empowering the impoverished, underprivileged, and often abused young women.

 

Within these ministries, Sharon has witnessed the transformative power of loving words spoken to the broken-hearted. Sharing God’s love and witnessing its transformative power has become her passion.

 

Sharon and her husband, divide their time between Oregon and Hawaii. They have two grown children. 

 

Currently, Sharon is encouraging others via her inspirational blog, but prefers sharing face to face. Additionally, she is working towards a degree in Ministry. 

 

~*~

Connect with Sharon:

Website: Sharonmusgrove.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Sharon-Musgrove-Untethered-102208978041060

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sharonmusgrove_untethered/

 

 



No comments:

Set in Stone (Treasures of the Earth)

  Set in Stone  (Treasures of the Earth)  March 12, 2024 by  Kimberley Woodhouse   (Author) A dangerous scheme could bury their long-held dr...