Sunday, September 8, 2024

Committing Action By Sharon Musgrove #Devotional

 Committing Action

By Sharon Musgrove


“Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed.”         Proverbs 16:3 NLT


Fall is approaching in Oregon’s Willamette Valley. The change of seasons brings many pleasant things like crisp temperatures, colorful leaves, and relieving rains.  But the shifts to wet weather create a need for some of my neighbors, tiny sugar ants, to find refuge in drier locations. If you have had the opportunity to meet these fellow dwellers, you know how tenacious they can be!

The ants have a plan to keep themselves comfortable, fed and safe from harm. I admit, much of my time is spent in that same intention! They are not dangerous to humans, but they feed on sweets and if they find what they want in your home, they move their nest right into the source. I thought my sweet tooth was bad! However, what is most noteworthy in the actions of these tiny creatures is their persistence in pursuance of their goal. Their work is for the Queendom, working their entire lives, whatever the job, unified, for betterment of the Queen and her colony. They are committed!

It’s not coincidental that I was working against this annual infestation as the Holy Spirit highlighted Proverbs 16:3. Over the past couple of weeks I had been marching through the book of Proverbs a chapter at a time. The wisdom of this book is offered in small steps that are easy to miss if not reading with intention. I stalled when I saw the order of this particular Proverb.  

“Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed.”

God was shining light on the fact that I had been committing my plans to the Lord rather than my actions.  I’d been giving Him my great ideas and goals with the expectation that He would bless them. By blessing them, I mean make the path easy…like following behind someone that had already scouted the terrain or moved the blockades. But these plans were my plans. Hey God, I have this great idea….

Praying for a specific outcome was an obvious example of a tendency to give the Lord my plans. And when results do not follow the outline of request, the assumption is He isn’t answering or listening or even loving.... What a horrible downward spiral of thoughts!  Isn't giving up the opposite of commitment?

Meanwhile, those sugar ants have been tenaciously working-working-working.  A scout or two has become a chain of hundreds or thousands following the paths of those trailblazers. They are focused on their actions. It’s not that the scouts don’t have a plan, but their plan is not determined by them. Their work is. If one route is a dead end, backtrack and begin again. The goal is so important that the work is worth it. This colony and their queen are so valuable the workers are committed unto death.  

The outcome of perseverance is achieving the goal. James 1:4 states it this way, 

“Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” (NIV)

Any grand plan I’ve offered the Lord may not have included maturing my character.  And plans to further my “Sharon-dom” are rarely something others are willing to get behind.  It serves me but does it serve the community or God?  

The long line of sugar ants is proof of their willingness to “get behind” in serving.  In doing so, their unified strength increases, and territory is gained.  

The wisdom of Proverbs 16:3 is understanding that God’s plan for me is the best plan. It’s in believing that He is for me, not against me. It's in trusting that the work is worth the commitment and having faith in His Kingdom.  

Fall is the perfect time to lay down a personal agenda and surrender to a new season. Am I willing to commit my actions and “get behind” on the path that Jesus blazed? Can I earnestly pray Thy will be done? 

Friends, I pray for all of us, a willingness to commit ourselves and all we do to the Kingdom plan that God has set in motion. May we be committed to Him and to the well-being of others. And may we be as tenacious as ants in the work He has laid out for us to do individually.  



Author Bio:

 


Sharon has been writing and teaching biblically based curriculum, Bible studies, and devotionals since 2007.    

 

She has had the unique position of writing curriculum and teaching for two private, Christ-based, residential recovery programs. Both programs primarily served women in the homeless community.

 

Sharon has traveled multiple times to Kenya, serving on medical teams and teaching in the rural Maasai communities. She’s been privileged to speak in Leadership camps intended on encouraging and empowering the impoverished, underprivileged, and often abused young women.

 

Within these ministries, Sharon has witnessed the transformative power of loving words spoken to the broken-hearted. Sharing God’s love and witnessing its transformative power has become her passion.

 

Sharon and her husband, divide their time between Oregon and Hawaii. They have two grown children. 

 

Currently, Sharon is encouraging others via her inspirational blog, but prefers sharing face to face. Additionally, she is working towards a degree in Ministry. 

 

~*~

Connect with Sharon:

Website: Sharonmusgrove.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Sharon-Musgrove-Untethered-102208978041060

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sharonmusgrove_untethered/

 

 


No comments:

Giveaways are the best way to celebrate a new book!!! #Giveaway #AHealingTouch #BookGiveaway #RevellFiction #Amishfiction #Christianfiction #SuzanneWoodsFisher

    https://drive.google.com/file/ d/1n0M- MBZ3JzSgwgagXNL3qRlhMCCmtE4_/ view?usp=shari  I'm so excited to help Suzanne Woods Fisher cel...