Thursday, August 7, 2014

Love Stays True

Title: LOVE STAYS TRUE
Author: Martha Rogers
Publisher: Realms
May 2013
ISBN: 978-1621362364
Genre: Historical

Can Sallie and Manfred overcome the distance that the war has put between them and find love?
 

In April 1865, the day following the surrender at Appomattox, Manfred McDaniel Whiteman and his brother, Edward, are released in an exchange of prisoners. They are given a few provisions, and they begin a long journey to their home in Bayou Sara, Louisiana.

At home Sallie Dyer is waiting word of her beloved Manfred. Though just a young girl when Manfred left, Sallie has grown into a caring young woman who is determined to wait for her love--despite her father’s worries that she is wasting her life on someone who may never come home.

On their journey Manfred and his brother encounter storms and thieves and are even thrown in jail. Will he make the journey home before someone else claims Sallie’s hand?

LOVE STAYS TRUE is the first book in The Homeward Journey series by Ms. Rogers. As you can see from the blurb, the book is set during the Civil War. I wanted to like this book, but I just couldn’t engage. It was slow… and at times Sallie seemed overly childish and melodramatic. She killed a soldier and then fretted over that during the whole book—it was war. Her boyfriend killed people… I understand, it’s a Christian romance, murder is sin, therefore the characters must feel guilt for protecting themselves or their country.

It’s probably just me and my mood at the time, but right now I’m not enjoying this book as much as I would’ve liked to. I have read (and loved) some of Ms. Rogers’ books in the past and I’m sure I will again. 


If you like Civil War romances then don’t take my word for it. You might totally love this book! Check out LOVE STAYS TRUE for yourself. $9.99 Kindle. $14.99 paperback. 303 pages. 

No comments:

Just for the Summer: (A Fun Swapped Roles Contemporary Clean Romance Novel)

  Just for the Summer:  (A Fun Swapped Roles Contemporary Clean Romance Novel)  March 19, 2024 by  Melody Carlson   (Author) Ginny Masters m...