Thursday, November 1, 2018

Young Whit and the Traitor's Treasure



Young Whit and the Traitor's Treasure 

Hardcover, ebook

September 4, 2018

bPhil Lollar (Author), Dave Arnold (Author)
  • Age Range: 7 and up 
  • Grade Level: 2 - 3
  • Series: Young Whit (Book 1)
  • Hardcover: 240 pages
  • Publisher: Focus on the Family
  • ISBN-13: 978-1589975842

This Odyssey book series explores the history of the much-loved character John Avery Whittaker. The series introduces newcomers to the larger world of Odyssey. For readers who are already Odyssey-philes, the novels provide the history of the franchise’s most important character.

Whit and his family (father, Harold; stepmother, Fiona; half-sister, Charlie) have just moved to Provenance, NC, in the middle of the Great Depression. Harold will be teaching at nearby Duke University. Not-quite-10-year-old Johnny soon makes a friend in Emmy, who lives across the street and joins him in his adventures. At his new school, he encounters a bully who makes his life miserable, and he makes a new friend in Huck, the custodian. Both of them play key roles in the mysteries and action.

The central mystery in book 1 involves Confederate gold missing since the end of the Civil War and the question of whether Johnny’s ancestor was the coward and thief who stole it, as everyone believes.

My thoughts: (reviewed by Jenna)  YOUNG WHIT AND THE TRAITOR'S TREASURE is epic!  Mom started reading this to my younger sister while I was doing my piano lessons. Needless to say, my hands might have rested on the keys, but not a note was played. I was hooked on YOUNG WHIT AND THE TRAITOR'S TREASURE by the prologue!  Then I begged to be able read the chapters to my sister - and I must admit, I read ahead and finished it, and read it again and again, three times already. I *love* this story. It is SO good!

My older siblings were raised listening to Whit's End on the radio, usually listening while the family commuted across Grand Rapids to church functions. Mom was able to get her hands on a couple of the Imagination Station VHS tapes back then, which were worn out so they were before my time. My oldest brother has fond memories of them and he was intrigued by the idea of a series involving Young Whit. 

There is a mystery included and a race against time, and a matter of life and death as they get closer to discovering the truth and possibly clearing Whit's relative's name. Was Whit's relative a traitor? Or was it someone else? Who knows the truth and how can they find out? This is a seriously engaging book and one I highly recommend. 

I was given a copy free by the publisher. My opinion is my own. 






1 comment:

Marilyn R. said...

Nice review, Jenna. I know some cute little ones who would enjoy this book.

While the City Sleeps (Women of Midtown)

  While the City Sleeps  (Women of Midtown)  February 13, 2024 by  Elizabeth Camden   (Author) Amid the hushed city, two hearts must navigat...