Wednesday, January 23, 2019

The Pony Express Romance Collection


The Pony Express Romance Collection: Historic Express Mail Route Delivers Nine Inspiring Romances

(Love & Romance Collections)


Join the race from Missouri, across the plains and mountains to California and back again as brave Pony Express riders and their supporters along the route work to get mail across country in just ten days. It is an outstanding task in the years 1860 to 1861, and only a few are up to the job. Faced with challenges of terrain, weather, hostile natives, sickness, and more, can these adventurous pioneers hold fast, and can they also find lasting love in the midst of daily trials? Find out in this exciting collection of nine historical romances.


A Place to Belong by Barbara Tifft Blakey
An Express rider promises to help fulfill Abigail’s dream to return to her childhood home. Jacob doesn’t trust him, but what other option does she have?

My thoughts:  A sweet story about a young girl who imagined herself in love with any handsome man and a man who was invisible to her. Tragedy gets her attention, but this story didn't leave me sighing in delight. I like gospel in stories, but this leaned heavily on the side of preachy. 

An Unlikely Hero by Mary Davis
BethAnn along with her little sister are running from a mistake and find security at a Pony Express station and love in the quiet affection of a shy Pony Express rider.

My thoughts: Going in, Mary Davis was one of my favorite authors in this collection. and this was a beyond great story.  I loved BethAnn, Fox, and the whole cast of secondary characters. Great story. 

The Gambler’s Daughter by Darlene Franklin
Gambling debts drive Caroline Adams’s estranged father away from the Chelan Swing Station before her arrival. Can his replacement conquer the temptations goading them both to prove himself worthy of Caroline’s love?

My thoughts:  This story could've used a good editing. Rabbit turned into beef, a shop keeper for a mercantile turned into a restaurant....just to name a few.  I felt sorry for Caroline being so  displaced, but found the resolution a bit unrealistic. I found myself skimming a lot. 

Her Lonely Heart by Cynthia Hickey
Widow Sadie Mathewson wants to find love again. But when an injured pony express rider shows up at her station, love finds her in an unexpected way. 

My thoughts:  True to Ms. Hickey's brand, this story was packed with action.  It was riveting. I found a lot of things interesting that I'm not going to research, but in one of the stories above the hero was a Pony Express Rider.  In this story, the riders are twelve and fourteen years old.  And she states most are.  Interesting...    Anyway, this one is not to be put down, edge of your seat reading. 

My Dear Adora by Maureen Lang
Chip Nolan must dispatch the letters his brother can’t after being left for dead on the Pony Express trail. One letter stands out, addressed to “My Dear Adora”— stirring Chip’s heart before he even meets its recipient.

My thoughts:  Ms. Lang was another favorite historical author in this collection and wow, was this an intriguing story!  Not at all a traditional  Pony Express story, this was more of a mission of sorts, and tied into the war between the states--howbeit loosely. I did figure out the way the story was going but I absolutely *had* to read to get there.  Simply, wow. 

Ride into My Heart by Debby Lee
Kimimela works at a Pony Express station where she struggles to cope with the death of her sister. When she’s kidnapped by gun smugglers, can her friend, Pony Express rider Gabe, rescue her in time?

My thoughts: This was an action-packed story with plenty of shot-em-up scenes similar to westerns my uncle and father-in-law liked to read. The two main characters were Indians - a nice twist.  This was more western than romance but there is a hint of one. 

Echoes of the Heart by Donna Schlachter
A mail order bride. A crippled stationmaster. No way out for either of them—except with each other. Can they surrender their hearts and find true love?

My thoughts: Okay then. A relationship built on lies and misunderstandings. I really didn't see a relationship develop at all... they both thought the worst of each other and okay. Well. I have no words. 

********Admittedly I was bored of the collection by this point and just skimmed the last two stories. No thoughts on them.

Abundance of the Heart by Connie Stevens
Unfulfilled goals haunt Fletcher and Mercy at a remote Nebraska outpost, but unexpected circumstances may offer a last-chance opportunity to pursue the dream of riding for the Pony Express.

Embattled Hearts by Pegg Thomas
Alannah Fagan escaped from a battle she wouldn’t survive. Stewart McCann left behind a battle he couldn’t face. Thrown together at Horseshoe Station, can they find something worth fighting for?

Overall: a collection that should appeal to those who like westerns.  Romances were weak in most cases and well, it was a very active read in some stories. Draggy in others. 

I won a copy in a giveaway. No review required.  All opinions are my own.





1 comment:

Marilyn R. said...

This book sits on my bookshelf, as I haven't been able to get into the tales after winning a copy.

This Special Blessing for You Hardcover – Picture Book #childrensbook

  This Special Blessing for You  Hardcover – Picture Book, February 20, 2024 by  Eric Schrotenboer   (Author),  Meredith Schrotenboer   (Aut...