Sunday, June 9, 2019

God is My Husband by B J Bassett




For your Maker is your husband,
    the Lord of hosts is his name;
and the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer,
    the God of the whole earth he is called. Isaiah 54:5


God prepared me to be a caregiver.

At a young age, God instilled in me a love for children. I adored my baby brother and became his second mother when I was eight.

Later, with my husband, we cared for our four children, and felt blessed to raise them in a Christian home. During my mother’s declining years, I cared for her. More recently, I cared for my husband of 60 years.

God also groomed me to become a widow.

Although I feel some members of my family possess a healthy balance between being introverts and extraverts, several of us preferred being alone.My dad preferred fishing alone. And my brother loved to sit in his tree fort alone wearing his coonskin cap and dream his little boy dreams. Often when my parents visited their friends, I’d beg to stay home and they graciously agreed.

Now I’m a widow.I sleep peacefully at night, and awake refreshed in the morning to begin a new day as God’s servant, ready for my next assignment.

Believers are never alone. God is not only our Father, He’s our Husband, our Provider, our Protector, our Comforter, and so much more. He is All in All.

Father, You not only prepared me to be a caregiver during my life, You also prepared me to be a widow. Thank You for the characteristics you blessed me with. And thank you for being my Husband. Amen.


B. J. Bassett encourages others as an author, teacher and speaker. Her books include a contemporary novel, Gillian’s Heart; a historical novel Lily; Sweet Charity; A Touch of Grace—The G.R.A.C.E. Ministries Story; and coauthor of a children’s devotional My Time with God, Focus on the Family, Heritage Builders, with over 55,000 copies sold.
As a contributing writer, publications consist of Writer’s Handbook 2000, The Writer, and The Focus on the Family Guide to Growing a Healthy Home, Wolgemuth& Hyatt, Publishers, Inc.—consistently on Bookstore Journal’s Best-selling Christian Books List from November 1990 - February 1991, and voted the 10 Best Books for 1990 by Today’s Christian Woman.
Magazines, devotional booklets, curriculum and newspaper publishers include Focus on the Family, Woman’s World, The Quiet Hour, Pathways to God, Devotions, Harcourt Brace, WordAction, Gospel Publishing and Times Standard (newspaper).

She teaches writing workshops at Umpqua Community College, Roseburg, OR and at writer’s conferences. As a speaker for Stonecroft Ministries, she tells her story of rejection and acceptance, not only in life, but as a writer as well. She also offers book talks, including discussion questions and shares the journey -- from the seed of an idea to a published book.
Memberships: ACFW and Oregon Christian Writers (OCW).

She enjoys reading, jigsaw puzzles, knitting, munching warm scones oozing with butter and strawberry jam and sipping earl grey tea.

B J Bassett
Twitter: B J Bassett@bassett106





 







6 comments:

HeidiDruKortman said...

Good insights, Bunny!

B. J. Bassett said...

Thanks, Laura. You are so sweet to give me the opportunity to be a guest writer on your blog. Blessing, BJ

Laura Hodges Poole said...

Beautiful, BJ. Continuing to pray for you and your family.

Linda Hoover said...

Thank you for sharing this encouraging testimony of how God prepared you for his calling, and gives you peace as you continue to walk his path.

Marilyn R. said...

A lovely testimony, B.J. God is our everything even when we are along.

Marie Bast said...

Very sweet, Bunny. Thanks for sharing. Love your writing and your devotions.

An Interview with Jonathan Gibson, Author of My First ABC Book of Bible Verses

  An Interview with Jonathan Gibson, Author of  My First ABC Book of Bible Verses   It’s never too early to start sharing the big truths of ...